Oil Pan Gasket change question

lparsons

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 24, 2004
Upstate New York
The oil pan gasket on my 95 GT is leaking oil and practically squeezing out of the space between the pan and the block. I'm leaking oil while parked, at a rate that is getting obnoxious.
I'd like to change out this gasket myself, rather than pay someone to do it. I do not have any access to an engine hoist, so I'll have to do it in my garage without pulling the engine out.
Is this feasible? I am 99% sure that the gasket in there is cork - based on the way it is squeezing out (and falling apart in the process). I do have a floor jack and jackstands.
What is the procedure for doing this without pulling the engine out?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

When you do this, make sure you get the 1 piece oil pan gasket... It can be done in the drive way with jack stands & engine hoist. The engine will have to be raised enough to get the oil pan off. It's just time consuming & difficult to reach stuff. Starter will have to come off.

94CobraPace said:
When you do this, make sure you get the 1 piece oil pan gasket... It can be done in the drive way with jack stands & engine hoist. The engine will have to be raised enough to get the oil pan off. It's just time consuming & difficult to reach stuff. Starter will have to come off.
Don't bother trying to take off the oil pan, trust me on this one! To get my off, I pratically had to lift the engine up as high as it fould go, unbolt the oil pump, slide that out somehow, then the oil pan just barely came out and that was with using moderate force.

What I would do if you wanted to change the gasket, just lift up the engine some to let the pan hang lower when its unbolted, slide one side of the old gasket under the oil pickup tube and pump and take it out form one side, clean everything real good with brake clean, then put the new gasket back in the same way. Might want to wipe the gasket off with a rag before you intall it once you get it onto the pan.

Using a lift with me and my boss, it took us just over 4 hours to take the pan off and change it out for another one, completly not worth doing it if not needed.

94CobraPace said:

I guess I wasn't clear enough here - I do not have access to an engine hoist. I just moved across 5 states this summer, and I don't even know anyone who I could borrow one from where I am.
Is this possible without a hoist? I have a jack with jackstands, but no hoist of any sort. I do have an entire day (monday) to do it, though.
:shrug:

im gonna say its not possible without a hoist, things are pretty tight down around the K-member

maybe theres a rental place around you that would rent one out

lparsons said:
I guess I wasn't clear enough here - I do not have access to an engine hoist. I just moved across 5 states this summer, and I don't even know anyone who I could borrow one from where I am.
Is this possible without a hoist? I have a jack with jackstands, but no hoist of any sort. I do have an entire day (monday) to do it, though.
:shrug:
your answer sounded pretty clear to me..you need a hoist to get the engine
higher. you cant jack it up by the oil pan right ??the only way is to lift it from the top.. your answer should have been detailed NO YOU CAN NOT DO THIS JOB WITHOUT AN ENGINE CRANE..HOIST..CHERRY PICKER.