Oil pan gasket???

Hey there i just pulled the trans on my 5.0 and i am going to replaced the rear main. Now my question is can you change the oil pan gasket with the engine in the car?? Maybe unbolt the motor mounts and lift the engine up a little bit?? Has anybody ever tried this?? Any info will be greatful
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

yeah it can be done with engine in the car, you'll have to take the motor mount bolts out rais the motor and put a piece of wood between motor mouts to hold the engine up. then you'll have to remove the pick up i believe before removing the pan, it can be done, someone else will chime in with the rest of the details, just going off the top of my head.

Well i just finished replacing the oil pan gasket it took about 3hrs total with the trans pulled. I ended up using 3 pieces of 4x4's. 1 under each header then one the harmonic balancer with the jack under it. I had to be lifted really high in the air to get it over the pick up tube. Also most said to unbolt the fan. I ened up leaving it alone just unbolted the fan shroud. But now 3 hrs later i am finished. Just put the trans and stuff back in tomarrow.

damn you shouldve taken pictures cause im going to do this. the chiltons manual shows you how to do this with the tranny and engine in the car. but i need color pictures. cause i wanted to replace the oil pump without taking the engine out of the car.

really simple but hard still went and got a 4x4x8 at lowes. then i had a floor and hydraulic jack. after unbolting the motor mounts and fan shroud. I just lifted both up one then the other till i thought it would be high enough to clear. then measured the header to k-member distance and cut the wood. then cut my piece for the front harmonic balancer. if you can get the oil pump off it will be alot easier to pull the oil pan. also if you still need more room if you pull the rack and pinion i think that it would help out a lot. when you jack up the engine trust me it will be way out of the engine bay. but once you get in there you will see what i am talking about. and trust me get a 1-piece oil pan gasket!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are so easy to use. if i ever do it again i will have photos sorry about that.

i didn't remove mine i jsut kept on jacking up the damn thing till i got way up in the air. everytime i would get where i thought it was good to pull it off it would hit the pickup and then the rack and pinion. trust me it was in the way. but i was to far into to it to start pulling the rack and pinon out.

I pulled my pan off when I had my T5 transmission and bell housing off. All I had to do was unbolt the motor mounts from the K-frame AND drop the rack and pinion down from the K-frame. I didn't unbolt it from the spindles though. Just let it hang, then pull the pan and slide it around the oil pickup tube and your good. Buy a one peice Fel Pro gasket....NOT the cheap cork 3 peice. Torque oil pan bolts to 10ft lbs and you're done.

on the initial lift i had a jack under the front and rear sump with a block of wood on each side. after i got the rear up nice and high i think the pieces of wood were 11" long and put them under the headers. then the front was trickyi thought it would be high enough and cut my block of wood and put it underthe harmonic balancer i think it was 26". but after taking all the bolts out of the oil pan it still wouldn't comeout for me. so i put two bolts back in the oil pan to hold it. then jacked it back up and ended up with the jack and a shorter piece of wood under the floor jack. just make sure that here that jack won't slide. mine fell once off the jack but didn't fall but a couple inches back down. my engine ended up being probably 6" - 10" in the air. hopefully this helps.