Engine Oil Pan Gasket

Imatk

Apr 17, 2005
So I've got my lower intake off and am in the process of replacing the gasket when I realized a leak near the front of my oil pan as well.

I've read several posts about doing the oil pan gasket on here but to be honest I'm a bit afraid of it.

I have most of the things taken off of the engine already I think with the lower intake. I'm wondering if I should get one of those engine support bars from harbor freight and drop the K-member and do the oil pan gasket that way or if I should just take it to a shop (quoted me about half a grand)

Just don't want to screw anything up.

Anyone have any advice for a person who's intimidated by this job?

• Sponsors (?)

Do a little investigating before you jump into a full oil pan removal, it may just be the area where the timing cover and the oil pan meets or a crank seal. If so you only need to r & r the harmonic balancer or the timing cover, although that can pose its own problems.

I've done the pan gasket on my 93GT twice ( don't ask !) without removing the engine, it's a PITA !!
Remove motor mount nuts, loosen and let power rack hang, remove upper intake, jack up engine and
support with lift bar/whatever, remove pan bolts, let pan drop on K-member, reach in pan and remove
oil pump and pick-up let drop in pan, fight pan toward rear of car to remove, install gasket and reverse
process.
Would have been easier to remove engine...lol.