• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Engine Oil Pan Gasket

  • Thread starter Thread starter Imatk
  • Start date Start date Oct 22, 2018
I

Imatk

Active Member
Apr 17, 2005
101
10
29
Oct 22, 2018
#1
  • Oct 22, 2018
  • #1
So I've got my lower intake off and am in the process of replacing the gasket when I realized a leak near the front of my oil pan as well.

I've read several posts about doing the oil pan gasket on here but to be honest I'm a bit afraid of it.

I have most of the things taken off of the engine already I think with the lower intake. I'm wondering if I should get one of those engine support bars from harbor freight and drop the K-member and do the oil pan gasket that way or if I should just take it to a shop (quoted me about half a grand)

Just don't want to screw anything up.

Anyone have any advice for a person who's intimidated by this job?
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,048
10,672
213
polk county florida
Oct 22, 2018
#2
  • Oct 22, 2018
  • #2
Do a little investigating before you jump into a full oil pan removal, it may just be the area where the timing cover and the oil pan meets or a crank seal. If so you only need to r & r the harmonic balancer or the timing cover, although that can pose its own problems.
 

Steel1

Mustang Master
Aug 18, 2017
1,419
639
143
Connecticut
Oct 22, 2018
#3
  • Oct 22, 2018
  • #3
I've done the pan gasket on my 93GT twice ( don't ask !) without removing the engine, it's a PITA !!
Remove motor mount nuts, loosen and let power rack hang, remove upper intake, jack up engine and
support with lift bar/whatever, remove pan bolts, let pan drop on K-member, reach in pan and remove
oil pump and pick-up let drop in pan, fight pan toward rear of car to remove, install gasket and reverse
process.
Would have been easier to remove engine...lol.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
14
Views
401
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Saturday at 7:48 PM
AlexM556
A
B
Engine Strange Noise
  • burntokita
  • May 8, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
479
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 11, 2026
keel
Engine Catch Can or not?
  • R82148V
  • Mar 4, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
9
Views
420
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Mar 6, 2026
ctandc
C
P
Engine Mysterious coolant leak at back of engine
  • palerider94
  • Jan 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
235
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 19, 2026
AeroCoupe
9
Forced Induction Prepping for supercharger on non-stock build
  • 91fox427
  • Nov 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
487
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 5, 2026
Qtrhrse23
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?