Oil Pressure and Water Temp Gauge Questions

aNotchAbove

Jun 7, 2006
I just picked up Autometer oil pressure and water temp gauges and had a few questions about the install. I don't care about the factory gauges at the moment so they can stay unplugged.

First, the oil pressure gauge. Can I just run a braided line from the block to the gauge? If so, what size is are the threads on the block so I can get the right adapter.

Second, the water temp. Can I just run a braided line from the stock sender spot (driver side lower intake) to the gauge? If so, what the size are these threads?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

both holes you speak of are 3/8 NPT threads

from what i have seen, your mechanical gauges should come with a fitting to go into the block with a line. or you can get one.

*EDIT* i was wrong the oil hole is 1/4 i'm sorry

The threads in the oil sender log are 1/4" NPT. IIRC, the block threads are also 1/4" NPT but I'm not as sure on that.

The temp gauge uses capillary tube. This is proprietary to the gauge so you have to use it. You might need to purchase an adapter for your gauge - the hole in the intake is 3/8" NPT as I recall, and some AM gauges do not come with an adapter tihs size.

Good luck.

What is capillary tube? You can't run the regular braided line from autometer for the water temp?

Capillary tube is the line that comes with mech temp gauges. It does not come off of the gauge - you use it instead of braided line. Remember, capillary tubing is filled with ether - dont kink it. And because it has ether in it, there's no coolant running through the line (so no need to worry about coolant leaks inside the car).

Good luck.

The threads in the oil sender log are 1/4" NPT. IIRC, the block threads are also 1/4" NPT but I'm not as sure on that.

The temp gauge uses capillary tube. This is proprietary to the gauge so you have to use it. You might need to purchase an adapter for your gauge - the hole in the intake is 3/8" NPT as I recall, and some AM gauges do not come with an adapter tihs size.

Good luck.

yes the oil sender and block are 1/4 NPT my first post was wrong i edited it

i just installed an autometer oil pressure gauge about a month ago. if it's an electric gauge, it should have come with the pressure sending unit (or switch). just screw the switch into the oil sender log and run a single wire from that to the "switch" blade on the back of the gauge and then run a ground and a power to the other two. then you just gotta wire up the light by running the ground then running the power to the switched wire on the headlight switch. if it's a mechanical gauge, you just gotta run the tube to the same place on the oil sender log and to the back of the gauge. make sure you bleed all the air out of the line. then same thing to wire up the light. oh and use teflon tape

Call up Autometer to get the right adapter for your temp gauge. They will send it for free if your nice. Otherwise you'll have to get it from Summit and pay 6 bucks for the part and $20 for s/h.