Oil Pressure drop?

89coupex2

Jan 21, 2004
First off I am using a Autometer mech oil pressure gauge. Normally when I start my car up in the morning my gauge reads between 55-60 psi. Well this morning it only read 40psi. The car has been sitting for about a week or so and its been pretty cold but this morning it was about 38 degrees out. I don't really think this has anything to do with it. I'm using 10w40 valvoline year round and the motor has around 110,000 miles on it. Thanks for any help. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

since the car has been sitting, i might: check the oil level and/or swap the filter. the difference between 38* and whatever the temps you have been seeing (i presume they have been colder) should not make hardly any difference in cold pressure.

good luck.

:stupid:

I would check you oil level and your filter. That temperature shouldn't have that much of and effect on your pressure. If anything a colder temperature would make your oil pressure higher, and then decrease as the engine warms.

is your car fuel injected or do u have a carb on it. i guess it could happen with both but most likely with carb. what im talking about is cylinder wash from 2 much fuel. thing is it gets into the oil and breaks it down. does your oil smell like gasoline? if it does change it and your oil pressure should come back if not its just a suggestion

I changed the oil and filter last night but it did not change anything. I'm going to try another gauge tomorrow and go from there. Hopefully it will be the gauge but I have my doubts, its less than a year old.

gotcha. i might do a quick check (blow through) on the line you used, to ensure there is not an obstruction (teflon tape, etc). long shot but worth a try.

good luck.

Replaced the gauge yesterday and that did the trick. The oil pressure went back to normal. Its hard to figure why the gauge would go bad in less than a year but I'm glad that is all it was.