oil pressure drop

f8tlfiveo

My wife likes my spool and blow-off valve.
Aug 8, 2007
Lancaster, PA
ok i am not sure if this is a problem or not. i was just out datalogging a new tune doing some wot runs to about 5400rpm in 3rd gear. i noticed that the oil pressure gauge was dropping pretty quickly around 4500 rpm but as soon as i let off the gauge would return to the middle (stock gauge). i am just wondering if i have a real problem or the gauge could be faulty. it doesent make any funny noises that i could hear. has anyone ever had this issue before.

• Sponsors (?)

I would install a aftermarket gauge to double check things, if you loose pressure up top it could mean a couple things could be going wrong.... At 4500 it still should be building pressure...

ok i am not sure if this is a problem or not. i was just out datalogging a new tune doing some wot runs to about 5400rpm in 3rd gear. i noticed that the oil pressure gauge was dropping pretty quickly around 4500 rpm but as soon as i let off the gauge would return to the middle (stock gauge). i am just wondering if i have a real problem or the gauge could be faulty. it doesent make any funny noises that i could hear. has anyone ever had this issue before.

Try replacing the gauge sending unit and if that doesn't help, install an aftermarket gauge. If indeed the oil pressure really IS dropping above 4500rpm, it's a sign that the oil pump is starving and sucking in air. This could be due to the following reasons:

Oil level in pan too low.
High volume oil pump draining pan too quickly (especially if it's the stock 5qt pan).
Clogged oil pump pickup screen.
Oil pump pickup too close to or too far away from bottom of sump.

If you have a high mileage motor and your losing oil pressure even if our motor is making noises or not, your oil clearnces could be out of spec now. Add lucas oil treatment and when you change your oil use a higher weight oil. Like instead of 5w30 use 5w40. Its thicker so it will help bring your oil clearances back to specs!
And all your paying for when you buy a high volume oil pump is a stiffer spring in the oil releif valve in the pump that controls the oil pressure. When a oil pump fails unless the pump shaft breaks 90% of the time its the spring in your oil relief valve that breaks and you will have no pressure. Your oil will just go from the pump right back to oil pan instead of throughout the motor.
If you put in an aftermrket gauge use a mechanical gauge and use copper tubing NOT the nylon tube. Your readings will spot on with what your PSI really is. Hope that helps you.

No it's not high mileage. It only has about 40,000 on the motor. I think it is the gauge cause it bounces around. Then stop, then bounce..I need to get a new gauge to check to make sure everything is ok. I thought about using a thicker oil but I don't think that is the problem. Thanks for the reply.

No problem. If you switch to an aftermarket gauge I strongly recommend going with mechanical gauges. They are spot on when it comes to accuracey! That's what I use. When the engine is hot and rpms are above 2000 oil pressure be between 40 to 60 PSI. I actaully looked it up today. I am a student at Universal Technical Institute studying automotive technology and the Ford Accelerated Creditianal Training.