OIL pressure dropping Please ADVISE

Hi,

My oil pressure is dropping. When I start the motor cold, it goes up to around 40psi, then after driving then idleing, it goes down. It continues this process of up and down until it goes to about 8-10 psi. I have changed the sending unit, double checked accuracy of gauge with mechanical gauge, used engine clean, changed oil and filter. This motor only has 67,000 on it. Other thing that could be a factor is when I primed the pump originally, I spun the drill the wrong way? Does that affect anything? Any ideas or where to look would be greatly appreciated. I have to drive 2hrs out of town tommorrow afternoon and REALLY worried about car!!! Thanks in advance, mike

• Sponsors (?)

what weight of oil are you using? if you have water in there (i.e. 5W-30), dump some more viscous oil in and see how it does. i would not do this for too long; fix the problem. but it might help with an extended freeway blast (your trip).

i would really sweat under 10 psi of pressure, if the gauge is accurate (is that with the stocker or the mechanical you mentioned?).

good luck.

HI again,

I changed oil weights from 10-30 to 10-40 and seems to have helped some. I put a new high volume oil pump in when I put in a newer short block with only 67,000 miles, like 2 months ago. Could it be failing already? someone has also mentioned my cam bearings could be worn. For the guy with 20-25psi, thats great pressure. I'm like in and around 10psi which is kinda scary. But have to leave for trip now. So Pray we make it. thanks, mike

Mike, i hope your trip went well.
one question for you. i recall that if one uses a high volume pump with a stock sump, one can pump all the oil up into the heads, and run a bit dry while waiting for the oil to return from up top (a deep sump/extra capacity helps fix this problem).
i am wondering if that could be a part of your problem. i thought i would toss that out there for folks in here to chew on.

if you continue to drive like that, i really would run some synthetic 20-50 in there. the thicker weight will help your pressure, and the synthetic properties cling much better to parts which are receiving insufficient pressure. i would think it is half way warm there in N.C., no? so it is not like running thick oil in 20* weather....
good luck.

i heard that and i have a mellings high volume pump with the stock pan. i drive it pretty hard for extended times and never have had bad psi at wot or anything. but i am going to modify my oil pan just in case. bad main bearings could make low pressure or a clogged screen. your oil filter may be collapsing. i heard of this