Oil Pressure drops above 3k rpms......

RAYMOND259

Nov 14, 2006
..........and keeps dropping as the engine revs higher. I have the stock gauges . so I'm wondering if I need to worry about it. Everything is fine until I cross the 3k mark.The car only have 8k miles after the rebuild. Any feedbacK?

• Sponsors (?)

I would get an inexpensive mechanical gauge, like a sunpro, and check it to confirm that its not the stock gauge or sending unit. Not sure what problems could cause the pressure drop. Did you rebuild the engine or did you have it done?

I wouldn't bother with the sunpro, I'd just put a mechanical full sweep autometer oil pressure gauge in the car.
If you get a 2 gauge pod, add the matching water temp gauge to it.

If a mechanical gauge confirms that the oil pressure drops above 3000rpm you definitely have a problem. This is usually the result of "cavitation" where the oil pump pulls air bubbles rather than oil when it's spinning faster. The commonest reasons are:

1. Insufficient oil in the pan.
2. High volume oil pump placing too much demand on the limited capacity of a stock 5qt oil pan.

If it's the latter, you'll either need to go back to a stock oil pump or install a 7qt pan.