oil pressure drops after warm up

alan l

Jul 1, 2010
md
My 351C oil pressure reads 45psi at idle on start ups, but after about 5 minutes drops to 20psi or lower. I have documentation of new piston from a past owner. Do I need to up grade to high flow oil pump or/and crank bearing? Also car has been sitting for years and must pour gas into barb for 1st start.

• Sponsors (?)

alan,
Have you changed the oil? Flushed the fuel system? If you started it after sitting "for years" without first filling cylinders with lube, priming the oil system and several other "must do" items, I really hope that you will be lucky to not have pooched the rings, cylinder walls, bearings, etc!
Good Luck,
Gene

Im no expert, but it sounds like you need main bearings. I have heard horror stories about high flow oil pumps. Hopefullly we will get some posts from others with more experience.

Im no expert, but it sounds like you need main bearings. I have heard horror stories about high flow oil pumps. Hopefullly we will get some posts from others with more experience.

Well, my question about the proper psi check was highly valid, since 20psi at hot idle is actually not a problem. I have heard the stories about high volume pumps too, but my personal experience is I have put over 200,000 miles on one with no side effects.