oil pressure gauge fogging up INSIDE car? help?

91stang50GT

Nov 1, 2005
This might sound werid but, i just put autometer mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauges in a guage cage inside my car about a month ago. Today while driving to work (in the light rain) i noticed that my oil pressure gauge glass was foggying up on the inside as an older headlight would do. After i shut the car off, it cleared up after a few minutes. When i left work, it did it again. Is there some kind of seal that could be messed up? the gauges are only a month old!:mad:

• Sponsors (?)

I was told by an auto meter rep that there gauges are not water proof. I was asking because i wanted to get a cowl that had gauge pods in it and was worried about the rain. that being said he said some people put a beed of silicon on the "joint" to help seal them. If your gauge has always been in your car i don't know how it has gotten moister in it but perhaps it is condensasion. Maybe just run a hair dryer over it for a while to get all the moisture out of it.

yeah i just dont get it, the gauge has never been outside the car and it just started doing it today and only while the car is running. I've seen quite a few people with gauges on the cowl such as FP without any problems.

My Vac and FP gauges fog up too. Only in the rain/heavy humidity. Driving with the AC or heat cranked up always clears them up eventually. Regardless, I was pissed, so I called Autometer. They WILL do something about it for free, you just need to ship them. He told me they open them up and put some kind of de-moisturizer in and then seal them. I just didn't want to be without them so I never sent them out, but since I haven't driven that car in over a month and never will again I guess now's the time...

Use a hair dryer to heat the gauges up a bit, the heat will dry the gauges out. Then you can smear a little bit of clear silicone bathtub sealer on the back around the joints between the case and fittings.

Just don't let your wife or G/F catch you with her hair dryer - women get possessive sometimes...:D:

Autometer will fix this if you send the gauge back. They can apply 'anti-fog' stuff to them. I emailed them a while back about fixing this problem on my FP gauge.