Oil pressure guage

Fast6hand

Feb 4, 2020
Arizona
Does anyone know if you can tap a oil pressure gauge where that plug is below? I believe it’s a 3/8 plug just like the oil pressure sender. Would be nice if I don’t have to tee off the sender.

Attachments

• 4DF7B3C0-4D5C-43A8-8372-18B19FEA7E46.jpeg
    4DF7B3C0-4D5C-43A8-8372-18B19FEA7E46.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Sponsors (?)

Does anyone know if you can tap a oil pressure gauge where that plug is below? I believe it’s a 3/8 plug just like the oil pressure sender. Would be nice if I don’t have to tee off the sender.
Hi,
If you’re adding a mechanical oil pressure gauge, it’d work fine there, or pull a block oil galley plug elsewhere & Install.
As for the size, oil pressure gauges are generally1/8”-27(NPT) across the board.. Most domestic blocks are 1/4”-18(NPT) Std. The kits typically come with a 1/8”-1/4” Pipe brass thread reducer to accommodate that & more.
You’ll likely be able to pull that plug & thread the gauge’s line/sender right in, no drilling nor NPT tapping required.
For purpose of comparison, 3/8”-27(NPT) has a outside dimension of 0.675, a business card thickness (.012) under 11/16”(0.687).
Pipe taper thread measurement is unlike SAE parallel thread counterparts, where 3/8”O.D. is actually 3/8”O.D..use an NPT chart.
Good luck!
-John

Hi,
If you’re adding a mechanical oil pressure gauge, it’d work fine there, or pull a block oil galley plug elsewhere & Install.
As for the size, oil pressure gauges are generally1/8”-27(NPT) across the board.. Most domestic blocks are 1/4”-18(NPT) Std. The kits typically come with a 1/8”-1/4” Pipe brass thread reducer to accommodate that & more.
You’ll likely be able to pull that plug & thread the gauge’s line/sender right in, no drilling nor NPT tapping required.
For purpose of comparison, 3/8”-27(NPT) has a outside dimension of 0.675, a business card thickness (.012) under 11/16”(0.687).
Pipe taper thread measurement is unlike SAE parallel thread counterparts, where 3/8”O.D. is actually 3/8”O.D..use an NPT chart.
Good luck!
-John
Thanks for the info! I'm going to go the electronic gauge route, it would be better to have a visual on it at all times..

Stupid question-----Do they make an electric gauge that I can wire from my sender. Thru my dash with the wire. Then remote gauge at console. As opposed to old style tubing run through firewall. Gauges are not my thing.

Stupid question-----Do they make an electric gauge that I can wire from my sender. Thru my dash with the wire. Then remote gauge at console. As opposed to old style tubing run through firewall. Gauges are not my thing.
Hi Pete,
You mean running an aftermarket gauge along with another both off the existing sender? Only if it was an identical gauge. You’d not want to run both off one sender, if it failed, (As it’s not designed for 2 gauges, it’s a strong possibility it may) there’d be 2 inaccurate gauges.
A new electronic oil pressure gauge will have its own sender its calibrated to-yes.
Honestly, if you really want to keep an eye on oil pressure, there’s nothing better than running a mechanical type oil pressure gauge. They don’t ever lie. Believe me, it’s worth it!
Hope I answered your question, worded the response to match up with the (2) possible ways it was intended to come across.
Take care!
-John

Hi,
I’m uncertain about this triple A/Pillar Mount, says 01’-04’ Vert’, ad also says 94’-04’ Vert’ fitment(twice). You’ve a 96’-00’ -correct?
I’d installed a triple on a red 96’ Cobra Vert., (1st 96’ Cobra Vert’ I’d seen, how could I forget? lol), nicely fitted piece-specific to the car, but It & the gauges were supplied- guess I’m saying they do (or did) make them. Either way, best of luck!
-John

Im 1990 .I can get one but it says trimming required. Plus by the time Im done with cheap gauges and pod Im around $300. My wish list is varied right now. I need a passenger mirror, new top rubbers. and a rear side window repair kit. Lately working on all the small stuff to make this a long term car that I can be proud of. Locally here in Sarasota there is lots of car shows and Im thinking of getting a lawn chair and hanging out. No foxbodys around here, and car guys seem to like it.

Installed a mechanical gauge today. Yes I put it under the hood. I’m reading 20-22 psi at idle, with engine warmed up. Good to go there. Pressure goes up as should with increased rpm. Will be putting one inside eventually. This one was to make sure I had good oil pressure for now.

Attachments

• 14479AEF-DC16-4AB7-AEA6-31CAC64C6AB2.jpeg
    14479AEF-DC16-4AB7-AEA6-31CAC64C6AB2.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: 1 users
Hi,
Very good! Pressure sounds good, Pete’s is likely right around the same. 750RPM Idle around 20-25lbs hot, then about 10lbs/1,000rpm’s at 3,000rpm’s- up. As you approach 5,000+ you should see about 50-55 Lbs with a stock OE Pump.

Hi,
Very good! Pressure sounds good, Pete’s is likely right around the same. 750RPM Idle around 20-25lbs hot, then about 10lbs/1,000rpm’s at 3,000rpm’s- up. As you approach 5,000+ you should see about 50-55 Lbs with a stock OE Pump.
Good to know. Engine only has 70000 on it, and runs good. I bought it with 69000 on the odometer.

Im 1990 .I can get one but it says trimming required. Plus by the time Im done with cheap gauges and pod Im around $300. My wish list is varied right now. I need a passenger mirror, new top rubbers. and a rear side window repair kit. Lately working on all the small stuff to make this a long term car that I can be proud of. Locally here in Sarasota there is lots of car shows and Im thinking of getting a lawn chair and hanging out. No foxbodys around here, and car guys seem to like it.
Hi Pete,
I’d been running across this “Glowshift” triple pod A pillar mount for 87’-93’ 5.0’s (with gauges) for 170$ setup several times. You’d posted in the SN95 category. Now that I know you’re Pony’s a Fox, I’d found & posted the link as it may save you some $$.
Hope it helps!
-John
BTW, What Genre’ Ponycars are they running down there in Sarasota?

I like the three gauge pod listed. But I like the way Fast six did it under the hood. While you cant see it all the time , its at least there. A while ago I decided that I was going to keep my car stock. Im hoping our cars pop in price over the next five years , and we can at least get our money back at least. So Im trying not to drill into too much trim.Call me gay , but I like my car. I would probably get the radio bezel that has the three holes in it. After reading about oil pressure last night Im paranoid about a bad bearing , and or a bad cylinder. Feeling a little vibration at high rpm probably my solid motor mount...... I have only seen , or know about three foxbodys here . This is car country too. Lots of 50s Corvettes here because of the big money guys

I like the three gauge pod listed. But I like the way Fast six did it under the hood. While you cant see it all the time , its at least there. A while ago I decided that I was going to keep my car stock. Im hoping our cars pop in price over the next five years , and we can at least get our money back at least. So Im trying not to drill into too much trim.Call me gay , but I like my car. I would probably get the radio bezel that has the three holes in it. After reading about oil pressure last night Im paranoid about a bad bearing , and or a bad cylinder. Feeling a little vibration at high rpm probably my solid motor mount...... I have only seen , or know about three foxbodys here . This is car country too. Lots of 50s Corvettes here because of the big money guys
Hi Pete,
LOL! No dude, you have it backwards, I’d commend you for keeping your car stock! That’s on the rare side. As long as you do a top notch job, nobody’s going to hold it against you for installing better gauges in the car, imo, it reflects you’re conscientious about keeping a sharp(er) eye on things.
Don’t need to run (3) gauges, either. Most important one is oil pressure & although we all know Ford could’ve done better with the cluster gauges i’ve yet to see one fail to warn you of a sudden oil pressure drop, temp spike. They may read unusual or fail & scare you, There’s also the multipurpose 2-1/16” gauges that you can toggle between modes like water temp, oil pressure, boost or vacuum...
IMO, going electronic, loud & jazzy with those color changing LED’s gauges, reflects you’re monitoring things, yes, but it doesn’t deliver the ”No B.S., desire function not a light show” statement in the same manner that reliable, simple Mechanical (Analog) gauge(s) do.
They’ll continue working when you pull your key out (or experience a loss of power).
So, what’s going on with this oil pressure/bearing issue you’re speaking of. What’s got you spooked?
Hooking up a mechanical oil pressure gauge (just as fast6hand did, under the hood) or inside the car so you can check your pressure, is good.
I’ve run under-hood gauges, pressure transducer to drop out the pump if low pressure was detected. Saw your pic, I’d not jump to conclusions, it’s not bad, but Pickup a 25$ Mech gauge at Advanced, Etc..Install & affix with a flat 2-1/16” single mounting plate.
1) What oil type, e.g.Synthetic(?). What weight are you running?
2) What’s your idle set at? Run smooth?
3) What’s the cold pressure @ idle?
4) Any engine ticking on cold starts?
5) I can type up how to test your mains using engine braking (Crank thrust) on a long hill (?).
6) Last time you changed oil & filter?
7) This where the gauge sits, normally at idle?
Ok, I’ll look for your response..
-John

My car runs very well. The previous one owner changed the oil at a Ford Mustang garage every 3000 miles with Motorcraft oil. The car was well taken care of. 124,000 miles on it. I also change the oil frequently even if I dont drive it much.I took the covers off to change the gaskets, and its like new. I am just spooked because its old now and when I first got the car I beat on it pretty good. No smoke. No oil burn. It breaks up a little when I keep it floored , and vibrates deep inside everything a little.I reset my idle at 800 I just get paranoid after reading on here about blown motors , but for the most part they were not maintained. After working on this car for three years you can start to wonder what could be next. Like I said pressure stays strong all the time. But I am going to get a remote , or a single gauge just so I know. Every weekend I like to do a small prodject. I find it very rewarding