Engine Oil pressure help

Ncarter

Jul 9, 2020
Michigan
I have an 89 5.0 and I am not getting oil pressure through the sending unit extension. I cranked the engine without the sending unit installed and oil barely drips out. I removed the extension and it is clean. Is my next step to replace the oil pump?

• Sponsors (?)

Is this a recently rebuilt engine or one that’s ran before? Grab yourself a sbf oil pump primer and use it in the distributor hole. Make sure you spin the drill in reverse.

Oil pumps almost never fail. If you’re getting no oil, maybe the oil pump driveshaft is broken, or a gallery plug is left out.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this a recently rebuilt engine or one that’s ran before? Grab yourself a sbf oil pump primer and use it in the distributor hole. Make sure you spin the drill in reverse.

Oil pumps almost never fail. If you’re getting no oil, maybe the oil pump driveshaft is broken, or a gallery plug is left out.
It’s not a rebuild the only major thing that I have done is replace oil pressure sending unit and the front cover gasket because of a leak. I will try the pump primer. Thank you!

I ordered the 27062 5/16 earlier today. Looks like I’ll be returning that one. Thanks for picture!

351's are 5/16". A 302 would be 1/4".

Interestingly this kit has both sizes for cheaper. I used the above one with my car and it was a nice peice. Make sure you add some oil to where the shaft spins in the bushing

Amazon product ASIN B00ASAQAH4View: https://www.amazon.com/Pump-Primer-Tools-FORD-Engine/dp/B00ASAQAH4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2JOJ1BJ6ODW3V&keywords=ford+oil+pump+primer+tool&qid=1661869677&sprefix=%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Reactions: 1 users
So I tried this tool. No pressure on the gauge. However, I’m installing a turbo and did for the first time get oil through the line at the turbo. When I run the engine the line does not get oil though. When priming I used an electric Milwaukee drill rated at 900 Rpm. When I ran the engine I didn’t get much above 1000 on the tach. So not sure what my next step is. Any ideas?

Well might as well try twin turbos :D what else do you do when you're not sure about your oil pressure :shrug:
I don't mean to be critical but seriously?
Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible.
I hear you! I didn’t bring that small detail up in the previous post because I wasn’t getting oil to the sending unit. Didn’t think a 1 inch adapter would lose all oil pressure on the gauge.

That's where I would go........
Took a while but checked the filter and it is filling. I also pulled a valve cover and I am getting oil in the rockers. I had to pull the intake and found that the PCV valve is leaking. Oil all over the place on the back side of the engine. Is it possible that this leak is large enough to reduce the crankcase pressure and not push oil to the sending unit?

The oil pump pickup tube might just be plugged. ( from the silicone pan gasket deteriorating )
Real common on Ranger
I use old gutted distributors for priming
Get a billet oil pump drive
I did prime it about two weeks ago and the oil flowed but no pressure on the gauge. I have also replaced the sending unit. The oil is not flowing into the extension and I have pulled it off to check if blocked and it was clear.