oil pump problem? How to get it out

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys, so I got a problem where when my car gets hot, the car starts to surge at a light and losses oil pressure even when it doesn't surge the oil presure will drop all the way down, only when it gets hot and comes to a stop, other than that the car runs perfect. I changed the oil a couple day ago, and it looked alright, it was alittle thin, but my car is not overheating or loosing alot of coolant, I have to put about a gallon of coolant in a month, and its not smoking and im not leaking or burning oil.

I was told it it possibly my oil pump that is bad. Or my main bearings. The oil pump is inside the oil pan correct? How hard is it to get the oil pan off? Can I do this without lifting the engine, any way to test it, or test to what is going on before I start ripping my engine apart? Need help bad, I was going to try to sell this car within the month and this is the last thing I needed.

• Sponsors (?)

u can get the pan off but its a pan in the butt. i would turn the motor over and look to see which way it turns when u start it. put it on the comp stroke on the number one cyc make sure the u mark the dist when u pull it. get a oil pump drive kit, get a oil pressure gauge and see what it goes to. spin it with a drill. if u need to get the pump out u need a way to hold the motor up. we used a jack and a 4x4 piece of wood to the front off the crank with the car on jack stands. leave the tranny bolted in to the crossmember but losing the nuts so it will not brake the mount. its been a few years but when u put the new pump back in make sure u install the oil pump drive. (if i remember) it has a piece that stops it and it has to go on from the bottom we forgot and had to knock it off to put it in from the top. with the pan off and the motor back down on motor mounts look at the bearnings and see if u can see anything like a color change where it got hot. also look in the pans oil and see if u see any metal in it and in the pan too. if u have a eng lift jack u should use it and not the jack but t the time we did not have one. this was a 5 speed car and had a stock tranny in it. if your car is a auto i dont know if it will work. it is not easy but it can be done

Are you going off the factory gauge, or do you have a different electrical/mechanical gauge that you are going by? If you have 10 psi at idle, it's OK. The general rule is 10 psi for every 1,000 rpm you spin.

A new oil pump solves low oil pressure problems probably 1% of the time. I'm positive your bearings are just worn. What does the psi register at say 3K or 4K rpm?

if your reading oil pressure with the stock gauge, i'd get an aftermarket one or at least put one on it and get some real pressure numbers, the stock gauge is useless at best.

a gallon of coolant a month is unnacceptable. your loosing coolant somewhere, if your not leaking it on the ground, you either have bad lower intake gaskets letting coolant into the cylinder to burn, or a small headgasket leak burning coolant. is your oil milkshake looking with white snot looking stuff in it?? if so your leaking coolant into the oil pan via the bottom of the intake gaskets where the water passes or the headgasket, if no milky oil its still possible to have a bad head gasket that leaks into the cylinder but not the oil. as far as smoking goes, it can be a small leak that wont produce any noticable smoke or cause any noticeable overheating, but its hard to tell with a stock gauge they are useless just like the stock oil pressure gauges are.

have you ran a compression test?? look for even compression numbers over all the holes. if you find any cylinders quite a bit lower start looking there.

good luck