Oil Usage/ Oil On Plugs

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Vass, NC
I haven't been keeping close tabs on exactly how much oil the car is using, and I don't have an odometer to judge it by, anyway. I put in close to 2 quarts today, and I've topped it off at less than 1 quart a couple of times. I'd guess I've gone less than 2k miles since getting the car back from the engine rebuild by HPP Racing. I started thinking through how oil might be getting into the motor: The coolant looks clean. The PCV and both valve covers are vented to atmosphere. Some oil makes it into the catch can, but not enough. The down tube from the PCV port is bone dry. There are some minor drips in the garage, but not enough to account for this level of oil loss. The only other way I can think of oil getting into the motor through the intake would be due to a leak in the turbo. So, I pulled the inlet piping from the turbo to the throttle body, and it was dry as a bone. So, the oil is not coming through the compressor.

So, I pulled the plugs tonight. I started with the driver's side and it definitely seems that bank is burning oil:

#5 plug:
Plug 5.jpg

#7 plug:
Plug 7.jpg

#8 plug:
Plug 8.jpg

You can see oil along the threads. I could even see a few drops on the ledge under the plug hole. I'm guessing that the oil is blowing by the threads, because I can't imagine it working its way in the other direction.

The passenger side 1-4 plugs all looked good. I didn't take a pic of #6. So, I guess I thought it was ok, but I'll take another look to verify.

I was glad that the passenger side looked clean, because I think it's likely that the bottom of the motor is fine and that the pistons/rings were probably done right, or else the other bank would also have the problem. It is also evident that it's not coming from the inlet. Does this mean valve stems? If so, is it likely to affect 3 out of 4 on the same head at the same time?

I've got a compression gauge, and will see what kinda readings it gives on the weekend. Any other ideas/help is appreciated. -Chris

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

:chin hmm not sure if tech.

Anywho, did you install the intake manifold? How often does the car see boost? That's alot of oil for valve stem seals I think. I wonder if the intake gasket has slipped on that side.

Reactions: 1 users
And... thanks for the help. I really think a lower intake gasket issue is much more likely than a valve stem seal issue.

I'm looking into which 1262 gaskets to order, and in getting an intake angle gauge to make sure all my ducks are in a row before diving in.

And... thanks for the help. I really think a lower intake gasket issue is much more likely than a valve stem seal issue.

I'm looking into which 1262 gaskets to order, and in getting an intake angle gauge to make sure all my ducks are in a row before diving in.
Have you done a quick compression check? That may help figure it out. Imho a set of intake gaskets are cheap to take a look.

Copper coat on both sides and let it tack up before install will stop them from slipping.

Yea, how'd you guess :bang::fuss:
Had the intake and tb and spacer apart soooo many times I can do it in my sleep. Only found out about it when I first started hang'n here.
I just tease the ricers with it now, 'stuck bov' :rlaugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I know the heads have been milled, but I don't know if the intake ever was...

Bought an intake angle gauge. The machine shops here don't even wanna try to measure the stuff the right way. So, I'll get to figure this one out, too. So, I already got a 1262 gasket and am debating going with a thinner gasket, such as a 1262R2 which is 0.045" thick, to compensate or milling the intake and going with a felpro 1262S3 for its steel core, even though it's 0.065" thick. I'm kinda leaning towards confirming the angle and then milling the intake .020" on each bank, but I wanna check the angles and see how it will line up first.

http://www.bhjproducts.com/bhj_content/products/cylinderhdtooling/iag.php

IAG-1%209-21-01%202%20(Custom).JPG

IAG-1%20on%20manifold%20(Custom).JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user