oil weight

driftin luke

Mar 17, 2003
Hey Gang, Heres a ouestion for you,what weight oil are you running in your mustangs? I have a 98 GT my manual says to use 5-30,but when I took it to the dealer for an oil change (it was free) they put in 5-20. The car runs fine with the 5-20,I was just wondering if the was some reasaon they used the 5-20.Any insight on this ? Luke. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

10W-30 is the HEAVIEST I could forsee using. 5W-20 or 30 would both be fine. Alot of people actually run lighter than that to help quicken the revs that much more, but I don't think its worth the added risk for a DD car.

-Will

ford switched to 5w20 to get a slightly higher CAFE(Corporate Average Fuel Economy) some people at ford try to tell you that its because of tighter intenal tolerances, thats a big load of steaming bull poo. in other countries it is common to use 20w50 on the 4.6 motor at a dealer for a normal oil change. however, i just use Mobil 1 5w30, no problems. i would probably use redline, amsoil or rp if i didnt have to get it mailed to me.

bdcardinal said:
ford switched to 5w20 to get a slightly higher CAFE(Corporate Average Fuel Economy) some people at ford try to tell you that its because of tighter intenal tolerances, thats a big load of steaming bull poo. in other countries it is common to use 20w50 on the 4.6 motor at a dealer for a normal oil change. however, i just use Mobil 1 5w30, no problems. i would probably use redline, amsoil or rp if i didnt have to get it mailed to me.

I guess I'll never understand why people would pay for some of those synthetics when Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec work just fine and are more affordable. You're gonna change it in 3,000 anyways lol

-Will

well, i actually dont go by mileage. i go by time. there are certain dates i change the oil in my cars. it usually works out to about 5,000 miles inbetween changes. but every 3rd oil change i go nuts and do the powersteering, trans fluid/filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, coolant, diff fluid. thats usually around once a year, but i have access to flushers and hoists so i guess im special.

oil

had a lot of extra oil laying around mostly 20-50 tried it in my 99 4.6 ....NG !too heavy even in the hot weather...I now run 5-30 only ...even run 5-30 in my 90 5.0 I'm old school but no more heavy oils ever..I just change my oil every 1500-2000 miles , light oils the way to go.......................................