ok auto to stick need to know whats wrong

1stanger1

Jul 3, 2005
in my house
:shrug: i recently traded a 1993 awd turbo talon for an 87 mustang GT

not your normal gt either
the car was a straight 5.0 automaric now its sorta a 5.0 (347 stroker) with a T-5 trans.....i installed everything correctly and even had the car runnin but after 4 or 5 more starts the starter just came to the flywheel and spun it ground off the teeth on the starter and didnt hurt the flywheel so i went to the junk yard got another starter and am having the same problem its like its not in far enough.....

now here is what i want to know should i take off the trans spacer or what???

i am lost here please help :shrug: :shrug:

thanks
alan kendall

• Sponsors (?)

well that sure does help....???????????

i did my search and i found a few people with the same problem but no one ever tells how they corrected it am i using the wrong parts or what ??? is there something else that i should be doing cause all i am doin right now is chewin up every starter that i put in this thing..........

ok so i went out to do some measuring......and this is what i come up with:

5/8" from edgeof steel spacer plate to the teeth on the flywheel.....doesnt seem to bad

3/4"travel on the gear inside the starter(from the base of the starter till it comes the whole way engaged)

now that leaves an 1/8" for the gear on the starter to touch the flywheel and thats just about right.......now eliminating the steel spacer would give me an extra 1/16" and the starter wouldnt bottom out on the bell housing either am i running the wrong flywheel,the wrong starter,or the wrong bell and how do i know whats what?????
can some one tell me what combo i should go with???

no one knows???has anyone else had this problem at all like i said i did my search and i aint found nothing out yet and i looked at like several pages i mean i here about the amount of teeth on the flywheel but no one says how to tell whats what

I've not had the problem, but I just went out to the garage and counted the teeth on the T-5 that I took out and it has 157 teeth on the flywheel. I swapped the T-5 for a c4. It has been a couple years and haven't had to work on it any more so my memory isn't too good, lol.