Ok,....i'm Drawing A Line In The Snow Then.

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Evidently,..my last thread was a blatant violation of forum rules. I was in effect advertising for or soliciting a business.

So then,...creatively.

It seems only fair that "certain people" are going way beyond the call when they offer to help figure things out for you while asking for nothing in return. While I think it's absolutely normal for one guy to offer to help anyone of us as a token of friendship, or just because he's a nice guy, there comes a point when you just have to return the favor in some "small" way.

I cannot tell any of you what to do, nor can I attempt to gather up a consensus as to what would be the "small return" of that favor when you receive those services, All I'm saying is that there should be something more than a cookie and a glass of milk left for these few when they come into your house via Team viewer w/ their bundle of gifts, trying to make your naughty car run nice.

Merry Christmas

Reactions: 6 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I'll second that! Not for me though, but for Steve @a91what .

My advice is just that, advice. You do the work (with one minor exception).

Steve is a really nice guy, and probably won't ask for anything from any of us. But how many guys have their cars running better, or just plain running because of this guy?

What's a tuner make per hour anyhow though? Anybody?

I say we help the brother out, maybe he could afford a real paint job then!:jester:

Reactions: 3 users
Steve, is an awesome guy....and he deserves some gratitude shown for his skill and time.

He probably would never really push for mooolaah but I swear I'm looking for any m90s I can find to send down there. Lol

Maybe we could make a a91what wish list. Its easy to order stuff and have it shipped down there.

I'm not a rich guy ( by any means ). The tuner I used to deal with charged 150 for a base tune..and 50 for adjustments over the internet. He also Dyno tuned starting at 250...

When the help changes from general help to actually fixing the issue, that's when it all changes.

Helping people do something is one thing....doing it for them is different thing altogether.

Steve, took control of my computer for, at least , 4 hours. In that time he was fixing my issue. Not just giving advise, but taking control and actually doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Lol, thats pretty obvious, but can you think of something that he has said he was going to get or wanted to get? Money as a gift is boring, although leaving the gift recipient free to get what they want. By the way Steve, dont come in here shaking boxes and ruin the surprise.

Lol, thats pretty obvious, but can you think of something that he has said he was going to get or wanted to get? Money as a gift is boring, although leaving the gift recipient free to get what they want. By the way Steve, dont come in here shaking boxes and ruin the surprise.
I wasn't talking about a gift....it'd be a re-occuring thing

I don't have a horse in that race but here's my Nichols worth, start by giving the guy a plack maybe with some names on it of the people he's helped. Or go a little over board with a six foot trophy. The guy obviously loves his work and working with ya'll on your problems. Ok, maybe a gift card to his favorite liquor store. Recognition gets it for some people.
I got a stupid 'worlds greatest dad' card years ago and that is still my fav.
Simple things are often the most memorable.

Reactions: 1 user
I must have missed the violating thread.
Some guys just like to offer advise in threads because of a genuine love of the topic. IMO, as long as it isn't abused (which he can decide himself to help or not) then it's not a problem. It's nice to see guys appreciative of his help. He hasn't done a whole lot for me directly as I'm not that far along yet but I've seen a lot of great info offered up to others and he's offered me assistance a few times already.
When it comes to remote tuning I feel he should be compensated but again that's his call. There's definitely an opportunity there to charge even a small fee for troubleshooting/remote tuning. I know a few guys personally that make a decent chunk of change doing this on the side.

When using your knowledge or knowing how to use your equipment (as is my case) just helping someone is gratifying, I'm sure he could charge a fee for his services but thats may not be what its all about be'n on here. Like I grabbed a neighbor's truck the other day and took it to his house, it was just a few blocks away and I refused payment, two reasons
He is a neighbor, we are supposed to look out for each other
I felt guilty because the truck had been sitting alongside the road for several days and I was sure I knew whom it belonged to but kept forgetting to stop by and ask about it. And I told him so. My bad.
I feel we are neighbours here and we help each other, although I'm probably the least helpful but hopefully I can get a grin outa ya with my lack of knowledge.
When someone enlists my services I get a fee for the knowledgeable use of my equipment.
If I had use of his services he would get a gift card to a fancy restaurant (likely micky d's) and a free toe if he ever broke down or had to many drinks,
If he was ever in my area I'd take him to lunch for ya. After all we are kinda like neighbors on here, some 'yards' just look better than others

If I had use of his services he would get a gift card to a fancy restaurant (likely micky d's) and a free toe if he ever broke down or had to many drinks,
If he was ever in my area I'd take him to lunch for ya. After all we are kinda like neighbors on here, some 'yards' just look better than others

Which one of your toes would you give him exactly? Or do you have spare ones laying around from people that have amputated them... ;)

Reactions: 1 user
This reminds me of when I was constantly fixing my coworkers vehicles in my free time. It started out as a favor to a couple, and then word spread and people always asked. Maybe he didnt mean to get so involved, but now that he is known, he is too nice to stop. Doesnt want one member to feel less important than another? In my case, I had to stop helping people that werent my friends before, because my wife was tired of me using a lot of my free time for no gain. Whatever the case, I think it would be cool of those that he has helped to "help" him in some way, and wise on his part to consider utilizing his skills for earning potential.

Reactions: 1 users
This reminds me of when I was constantly fixing my coworkers vehicles in my free time. It started out as a favor to a couple, and then word spread and people always asked. Maybe he didnt mean to get so involved, but now that he is known, he is too nice to stop. Doesnt want one member to feel less important than another? In my case, I had to stop helping people that werent my friends before, because my wife was tired of me using a lot of my free time for no gain. Whatever the case, I think it would be cool of those that he has helped to "help" him in some way, and wise on his part to consider utilizing his skills for earning potential.
I make it very clear why someone gets a ' freebe' and others get charged. Most times people offer monetary compensation, at least the classy ones.

I have been here for over 16 years and helped all kinds of people from literally around the word - Oslo Norway, Saudi Arabia, Korea and probably a few more places that I don't remember. I have scolded, pushed, prodded, poked, and occasionally inspired people to find and fix things that they didn't have all the answers to.

It's always been free, a community service to Mustang enthusiasts so that they can enjoy their Mustangs. I have been offered money, pizza and beer (I don't drink anything alcoholic), but never took anyone up on their offer. I once had a car repair shop owner ask me for assistance and he was going to charge the owner of a Factory Five roadster for the work. I told him that I would help on one condition.: he was to put a dollar value the information I gave him to fix the car. Then when someone who needed work done but didn't have the money for it, he would subtract the price of my help from their bill. I never heard from him after that.

I will continue to provide free help for all those willing to listen and honestly represent themselves and their problems for as long as I can.
Jesus said 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF. (Mark:12:31 NAS) and Matt 7:12 ¶ "In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets. (Matt 7:2 NAS).
What information and help I give away here on Stangnet is my way of fulfilling those two commandments.; it is something that we should all consider.

Merry Christmas!!![/b][/I]

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users