One wire alternator for a 1965 . . .

D Durden

DEEP FAT FRY
Founding Member
Mar 9, 2000
I want to convert my existing system over to a 1 wire alternator, and I figured I'd ask you guys what you use, recommend, wish you would have used . . . LOL!

So, what are your thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 1 wire 100 amp alternator and it works nicely. I think it is a great upgrade. The lights will be brighter too. The ALT warning light on the instrument cluster will no longer work though, since the stock regulator is not being used. My Dad is an electrical engineer, and he made something that fits inside of the factory regulator (its gutted) that makes the ALT light work.

Yeah, I know it can be done. I'm just wanting suggestions and opinions on which aftermarket products work best here. :)

Luckily I have the pony gauges and no alt light. Of course, not like they've worked since 1992 . . . LOL!

Question for ya' . . . it says on the catalog that it's limited to 61 amps or it blows the system. I'm needing to get 100 amp minimum because I'm running an electric fuel pump, MSD, and an auxillary vacuum pump. Is yours limited to 61 amps?

Thanks R!

I went with PA Performance's 3G kit. Why not go with the one that kept Ford passenger cars going under a high electrical demand day in and day out for (IIRC) over a decade? I think most of the catalog units are based on AC Delco alts that don't have as good of a reputation for reliability. I'll take the functional, reliable 3G alt any day: (I seem to remember mine was rated up to 160, but required dual v-belts to do so, or a serpentine, and I haven't gotten into that yet - no squeal with single belt so far)

95A 3G Upgrade for 1965-1980's Mustang.

I don't like spending unnessary money.

$25 from a junkyard netted me a 130 amp bolt in unit from an early taurus 3.0...three wire hookup and I was done. Took my original v belt pulley, and the put the washer on the inside of the pulley to space it out slightly, and just zipped the pulley back on. done.

Still can't figure out why people spend 100-200+ on alternators when there are a billion taurus's in every yard.

66%20mustang%203g%20alt.jpg

Eh, you make some valid points. My only comment is that it's not the 1 wire setup I'm looking for. That's what I'm looking to do.

Your installation looks fine. I'm betting it works just as fine. Does the support system have any issues with going from a 55-60 amp alternator to a 130?

I went to paperformance and ordered the 4 gauge fused wire. it connects straight from the back of the alt post to the starter relay. The 2nd wire can actually just tie back into the alt post if you want. The only other major connection is key on.

This eliminates all factory wiring...so there are no issues.