oops, did something bad to the differential

PeteyAce

Jul 2, 2004
i actually got the damn thing out eventually with the help of a pry bar and alot of screaming, i then tryed to take off the bearings on the each end of the differential. i used a bearing separator and a two jaw gear puller and a air gun. the bearing was on so tight that the flange on it snapped, so my friend tryed to grind it off with a grind stone, i got if off eventually but i put a nick on the outer side of the differential, i dont know about balacing purposes or whatever, but you think i kind of ruined it?

• Sponsors (?)

they would
Picture018.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Attachments

• Picture018.jpg
    Picture018.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture018.jpg
    Picture018.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 76
"i mean i wont be changing my rear any time soon after this"

Based on this post, and your other one, I've got a feeling someone (probably a mechanic) will be changing out this diff pretty soon after you get done. Did you measure backlash or pinion depth before you removed the diff?

The nick probably won't hurt anything - but I don't think you'll know for sure until you see how the new bearing goes on. Do you have a press to put the new bearings on with?

That nick doesn't look all that bad. Smooth out all of the high/rough spots with a file and sandpaper. The metal probably got a little more mushroomed there than you would think but you will find those high spot with the file. Don't take too much off as your bearing still needs to fit tightly. Go slow with it. Measuring with a caliper will help you also. You will be fine.

i doing everthing myself, except for pinon depth and backlash my uncle is coming down to help me. for the bearings i read i could throw them in hot water and try to slide them on.

Let's see - steel bearings in water. Interesting approach.

Try pre-heating the oven - and heat the bearings up dry to several hundred degrees (handle with gloves of course). You'd generally like to keep water as far away from all of this as you can.

If you heat up bearings you must do that in hot OIL...never water. A Fry Daddy can be used for this. I would try to do them dry in the oven as has already been suggested. I've seen mechanics use the freezer for whatever the bearings are being installed on also to contract that metal so the bearings will just slip on. Probably not necessary. Be sure to use a brass or aluminum block between the bearing and your hammer. You definitely don't want to buy the bearings twice becaused you ruined it beating on it.