Ordered my SCt tuner...now the questions

stevstum

Founding Member
Jun 21, 2001
Salem, Oregon
With the mods below in my signature what kind of power gains can I expect?

Temp F. 78
Reliative Humidity 0
Absolute Barometer 30.25

R/T .199
60' 2.302
330 6.143
1/8 9.266
mph 78.35
1000 11.967
1/4 14.236
mph 99.38

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it already takes Premium, but I am going to turn off the rear O2's and fix my lean condition.

Attachments

• temp.JPG
    temp.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 105
There is a long and drugout story, but yes my check engine light comes on and when I have it read it always has something to do with the oxygen sensor on the drivers side and one of the cylinders had a lean condition. I have read a lot of forums of people having some what of the same problem. I suspect that when I hollowed out my mass air it caused it to lean out. When I had my O/R H pipe put on, and yes I have MIL's, It would kick the light on with the above problems. The only thing that is consistant is the drivers side tail pipe I hear a miss after the car has warmed up. According to what I have read the MIL's do not always completely work and throughs up codes that look like a bad O2's and if I have a chip or a tuner to turn off the rear sensors there is a chance that it might fix the whole problem.:shrug: :shrug: :bang: :bang:

stevstum said:
There is a long and drugout story, but yes my check engine light comes on and when I have it read it always has something to do with the oxygen sensor on the drivers side and one of the cylinders had a lean condition. I have read a lot of forums of people having some what of the same problem. I suspect that when I hollowed out my mass air it caused it to lean out. When I had my O/R H pipe put on, and yes I have MIL's, It would kick the light on with the above problems. The only thing that is consistant is the drivers side tail pipe I hear a miss after the car has warmed up. According to what I have read the MIL's do not always completely work and throughs up codes that look like a bad O2's and if I have a chip or a tuner to turn off the rear sensors there is a chance that it might fix the whole problem.:shrug: :shrug: :bang: :bang:

turning off the rear 02's will not fix the other codes. but if any of us are going to help you with those codes we need the full codes.

from what your telling me it sounds like you had a p0174 code lean bank 2 ( thats the drivers side bank) and I have no clue with the other code. there is no such thing as a code for one cylinder going lean. there is misfire codes for each cylinder. and a misfire can cause a lean code on that bank because the extra unburned oxygen when the misfire happens.

so if you want help with the other codes then post here the exact codes.

I am still waiting for the tuner. I will have to wait till it gets here to see exactly what codes are popping up. So I am sitting in front of the window waiting for the UPS van to show up. It was funny thinking about it. When the UPS guy showed up with my catback system I had it out of the box and was installing the flow tubes before he had left the driveway.:rlaugh:

Well I got the tuner and have started playing with it. I cleared all codes and flashed the EEC and it does seem to run better. the buttometer can tell there is more power and torque. The check engine light has not come back on so all seems to good.

I did do some dataloging and did not know what to do with the info. Is there a way to look at the A/F ratio without a wideband O2 sensor?

stevstum

I saw you on the sct forums asking how to richen up the mixture to fix this problem.

I don't know how many people are going to have to tell you this but you had the same code befor ethe tune, the tune is not going to fix it. your goign to have to figure out the problem.

if it's only a P0171 code then you need to check live data and look at the pids for long term fuel trim bank 1 and long term fuel trim bank 2. in laive data it will use initals for these. you should be able to figure it out.

if you have readings that say

LTBANK1 = 25% ( or anything over 15) and

LTFUEL2= 18%

then you have a vacuum leak or a bad maf.

if it's

LTBANK1 = 20%

LTBANK2 = 4% ( anything under 10 percent)

then you most likey have a exhaust leak or a misfire thats screwing with the o2 reading on that bank.

so if you have something like this

p0303 ( cylinder #3 misfire detected) and a p0171 ( lean bank 1) then the misfire is cauing the lean code because the o2 sensor can onl detect oxygen and a misfire dumps unburned oygen into the exhaust screwing with the o2 readings.

svttech76 said:
stevstum

I saw you on the sct forums asking how to richen up the mixture to fix this problem.

I don't know how many people are going to have to tell you this but you had the same code befor ethe tune, the tune is not going to fix it. your goign to have to figure out the problem.

if it's only a P0171 code then you need to check live data and look at the pids for long term fuel trim bank 1 and long term fuel trim bank 2. in laive data it will use initals for these. you should be able to figure it out.

if you have readings that say

LTBANK1 = 25% ( or anything over 15) and

LTFUEL2= 18%

then you have a vacuum leak or a bad maf.

if it's

LTBANK1 = 20%

LTBANK2 = 4% ( anything under 10 percent)

then you most likey have a exhaust leak or a misfire thats screwing with the o2 reading on that bank.

so if you have something like this

p0303 ( cylinder #3 misfire detected) and a p0171 ( lean bank 1) then the misfire is cauing the lean code because the o2 sensor can onl detect oxygen and a misfire dumps unburned oygen into the exhaust screwing with the o2 readings.

Thanks guys for all the input. I have been busy with school and forgot to write back that I have figured out what the problem is. I hollowed out my mass air and every since then it has ran lean. When I had the O/R h-pipe put on and thought it was my exhaust. This last weekend I was cleaning and took off my mass air and sprayed some brake cleaner on and around the sampling tube and reassembled everything. I also made sure that the sensor was on top and straight. The check engine light has only come on one time since then. I cleared it and it has not come since then so, all in all I am pretty sure I need a new mass air.

Thanks,
stevstum

stevstum said:
Thanks guys for all the input. I have been busy with school and forgot to write back that I have figured out what the problem is. I hollowed out my mass air and every since then it has ran lean. When I had the O/R h-pipe put on and thought it was my exhaust. This last weekend I was cleaning and took off my mass air and sprayed some brake cleaner on and around the sampling tube and reassembled everything. I also made sure that the sensor was on top and straight. The check engine light has only come on one time since then. I cleared it and it has not come since then so, all in all I am pretty sure I need a new mass air.

Thanks,
stevstum

Cool glad you figured it out :nice: