out of curiousity

tstang21

Apr 14, 2008
im planning on taking my car to the track soon. currently i have CAI, flowmasters 40 series catback, pro 5.0 short shifter, bumped timing set at 13*. also to include a fresh tune up. now im going install my o/r h-pipe, remove smog pump this following week. im wondering what e/t time i could expect on 2:73s with a good launch and r/t. i have street tires and set them at 16 psi.

just to note, i do have 3:73s but not installed yet

• Sponsors (?)

im planning on taking my car to the track soon. currently i have CAI, flowmasters 40 series catback, pro 5.0 short shifter, bumped timing set at 13*. also to include a fresh tune up. now im going install my o/r h-pipe, remove smog pump this following week. im wondering what e/t time i could expect on 2:73s with a good launch and r/t. i have street tires and set them at 16 psi.

just to note, i do have 3:73s but not installed yet
you are talking mid to high 14's at best. the 3.73's should make a decent difference though.

ah man, your serious ? i was thinking somewhere in the low 14s or close very close to upper 13s depending how i drive. for example, i did beat a 350z (intake and exhaust) from the line unitl the next light. then again the street and track are 2 different worlds.

P.S.
I DO NOT STREET RACE !....unlike nick hogan

:Track:

i did a bit of calculating. depending on my r/t, 60ft and driving, i should be able to hit close to mid or close to low 14s. well i cant wait to get the gears installed soon. :nice:

What is the track elev.?

What kind of tar...I mean tire?

If it is a decent elev., good track conditions, and 2.1 or better 60ft...I say 14.6-14.7 ball park. I dont see much more from the listed mods.

The only mods you listed that I have seen really drop the 1/4 time a good bit are the 13-14* timing and o/r H if not for the weight factor alone. CAI, Flow's, no smog pump, and shifter really dont add up to a whole lot from what I have seen at the track. The shifter is more for its safety in keeping the t5 alive longer.

its hard to tell what time i will run by the mods i have at the moment. as for elevation, im at sea level in south florida. i have these weird brand of tires called visas or something like that. the rears are 255 and fronts are 245 width. i have to get use to the track more and work on my launch. im still learning more about the car's characteristics after driving a small high revving 4 banger for a long period of time :rolleyes:

Is it your first time going to the drag strip? If so I say 15's

The weather conditions, track prep, your tires, your driving ability all play a big factor. Only way to know for sure is to go, then let us know how you do. Like Grady said your RT does not matter at all, you can sit there for 25 seconds and still run a 15.1, your time does not start until you move.

Practice, play around on the street with launching (in a non-crowded/busy area of course). I did this before going to the track and found the best results with reving to 2,000-2,500 rpm depending on track conditions got the best 60ft on street tires at 24ish psi.

Also do not shift at redline, shift when you see 5,000 on the tach buy the time you actually shift you will be at 5,200-5,500 you will do nothing but slow down if your shifting over that rpm on a stock longblock.

Try not to get your hopes up too high. These cars are not that fast when they are still basically stock. I ran down the track with very similar mods but with an AODE, and only got mid 15's.

So, expect low 15's and be really excited to get into the 14's :D . It sucks to be dissapointed, try not to set yourself for it.

and of course post up your times in this thread after you went to the track.

14.8-15.3 is my guess. These 5.0's don't put out much compared to todays cars and they are heavy ..but getting lighter every year.. There used to be a time when the old cars blew away the new cars but now beefing up the old car only gets you as fast as a modern day car. They sound cool but are amazingly slow. Now back in 1988 when most cars were 0-60 in 12 -15 seconds, these cars were amazing...now they are less than average. 220HP is slow. If I wanted a go fast car I would get a later model that started out around 260-300+ HP and put a blower on it. OR but a Fox body as some of them are less than 2800# and fly with any amount of HP. I picked this car b/c I liked the interior better than the fox and though a H/C/I would be enough but it felt heavy even with that.

lol.....well the track that im going to is 1/8th mile. the 1/4 mile track is closed for a while and its been raining alot lately. since i got the car, it never saw the redline. its true though. our cars stock are well...i wouldnt say slow but have a lacking of somethings. cars today are just coming with more power but ours are still able to keep up. everything is good until you hit in the 5500rpm range and you can feel the car struggling to breath.