oxygen sensor socket

• Sponsors (?)

Just be careful not to round the hex nut. I think i went with a crows foot because I couldn't get enough leverage with a box wrench around the sensor.
Used a crows foot, an extension or two, and a breaker bar.

Clayton

89lxsport50:

Squirt the threads with a little Kroil or PB Blaster penetrating oil. It will help to loosen the grip on the threads. FWIW, I used a small pipe wrench to get the old sensors out. A little dab of anti-seize on the threads of the new sensors (most come with this anyway) is recommended. Snug them down but don't tighten them like you are trying to seal a leak on the Titanic.

HTH,

Chris

89lxsport50:

Squirt the threads with a little Kroil or PB Blaster penetrating oil. It will help to loosen the grip on the threads. FWIW, I used a small pipe wrench to get the old sensors out. A little dab of anti-seize on the threads of the new sensors (most come with this anyway) is recommended. Snug them down but don't tighten them like you are trying to seal a leak on the Titanic.

HTH,

Chris

Yeah, I might soak them down with penetrating oil overnight. I may just pick up a sensor socket to have just in case.

I ended up not needing a socket. I got them off easily with an open end wrench.The hard part was getting to the connectors. The car idles smoother now, and seems to have regained some lost power. I got a great deal on Motorcraft sensors for $35 each at Rock Auto.