P0442 Code AND Fueling problems

I know there are many threads about fueling problems and the P0442 trouble code, I have read through them all and I am coming to the conclusion that my entire EVAP System is wrong. I purchased the car about a year ago and it has a salvage title, so I know it's been through some S***. The "Charcoal Canister" that is behind my driver side rear wheel is round with a plug, and I have not been able to find that same part ANYWHERE. I've gone to parts stores with it and they have no idea what it is, even though it has a FORD emblem on it with a part #, I have tried to research the part and nothing has come up. When I have looked at diagrams and other parts related to the EVAP System, it shows a rectangular canister mounted by the rear wheel (drivers side). This is what is confusing me. Can anyone help with exactly what parts belong where along with part #'s and places I can purchase these parts (besides FORD cuz I'll get screwed with the cost).

As for the P0442 code, I have traced all lines for leaks, used smoke and found 0 leaks/cracks/collapsed hoses. After reading multiple threads I am going to go purchase a new gas cap (which I probably should have done from the get go, thats my bad) and I will give an update and see if the code goes away, I'm just a bit more upset/confused about the EVAP line set up and wondering if that has to do with the fact that I cannot put more than .3 gallons of gas in at a time.

Any responses would be helpful (trash talk accepted if I'm being dumb) haha.

• Sponsors (?)

If it is not the gas cap it can still be the soleioid not opening at appropriate times or the canister is filled with gas. I had an issue with filling up after my SVT Focus pump installed. Turned out some darn anti syphon spring in the filler neck was binding up causing me to have to fuel at 1/10th speeds. It also had a p0442 code from a collapsed hose to the canister.

Well you asked for it.....

Your post does not mention the model year of your Mustang. Are you aware that for the 96-98 MY Mustang, the charcoal canister is in the right hand fender well.

For the 99-04 MY, the charcoal cansiter is behind the left rear tire next to the gas tank.

So....are you looking at the correct MY diagram that matches your car???

Another possibility that comes to mind is if your car is a 99-04 MY, the round thing in the right hand fender well is the vapor management valve (VMV). It is not a charcoal canister.

Still another possibility that comes to mind is that Ford has changed the design of the charcoal canister. The fact that it's round or square isn't important.

OBTW, a new charcoal canister for a 99-04 MY Mustang is only 60-80.

The P0442 DTC can be a real bear to track down. Usually if someone is willing to do a smoke test, this usually nails it.

What other tests have you done? For example, the CV solenoid? The VMV valve? The FTP sensor?

If you need copies of the Ford service information, I maybe able to help. PM if interested.

FWIIW, I may have a solution to your slow re-fueling problem. Check out:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/801796-slow-re-fueling-2000-gt.html

I have a 2001 Mustang GT Bullitt

Here is the canister

Here is the vapor valve that is located in the passenger side fendor well. NOTE: Autozone, etc... specs a different one. It will not work. The one they specify is for a 96-98.

Buy your OEM parts from Tousley Ford. You will not be gouged.

Rockauto has the round canister for $66.

They have the Valve for $40ish and the solenoid for $30-60 depending on what one you have.

The canister and valve are both Motorcraft. I would almost suggest having the smoke test done, then replacing the part your self once you have a diagnosis.

Bullit, thanks for the pictures, here's the latest and i must say GREATEST of what happened....

Took the car to Ford and paid the $100 for them to run diagnostics on it and tell me exactly what the issue was, the EVAP System small leak (code P0442) was caused by the fact the the ENTIRE EVAP Emission system, is not there. It is gone, the only thing that was on it was the vapor valve (which is what I thought was the charcoal canister) and it was just kind of hanging there on the rear drivers side. Only possibility of this happening is that since the car is a salvage (I knew this when I bought it), it was sitting at a yard, and someone "picked" it for the EVAP System, then someone bought the car from the yard and somehow got it to run fine without the system at all. This is why I was so confused about what I was looking at when I was reading other threads cuz there wasn't anything for me to really look at haha.

The worst part, the dealership I bought it from a year ago, is taking no responsibility for not catching it, and falsifying the inspection documents. THere was no way in H$#@ that the thing would have passed emissions with that system missing. So I am havig to pay for the repairs myself. Close to $1000. Oh well, they are actually giving me a pretty good price considering they have to redo all the wiring too cuz it was all cut when the person took the system from the car. The bracket is even missing for the canister. SO there ya go, that's what happened, trust me I'll be reporting the Dealership AND the Auto Shop that did the inspection to the State Attorney's Office and the BBB (Better Business Bureau).

Thanks for your time, thanks to WMBurns as well for his assistance, my car is also an 03 GT, sorry I forgot to post that from the get go.