• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Painless Wiring .... Quick Question.

  • Thread starter Thread starter ram360
  • Start date Start date Oct 16, 2003

ram360

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
2,162
1
59
Pennsylvania
Oct 16, 2003
#1
  • Oct 16, 2003
  • #1
I bought the FI wiring kit (P# 60510). It doesn't use the stock connector as far as the ignition wiring goes. I just has two red wires for the ignition, I'm assuming they connect to the two wires that are coming from the ignition lock cylinder itself? Also It has one wire that's supposed to connect to the B terminal on the starter relay (I'm assuming that the "B" terminal is that has the + wire from the battery connected to it) Just want to make sure before I screw something up. Thanks!
 
P

proxses

Founding Member
Dec 12, 2000
620
0
0
Dayton, Oh
Oct 16, 2003
#2
  • Oct 16, 2003
  • #2
Now this sounds like a bit of a pain to me... j/k

As far as the two ignition wires, that sounds right. I think one is for ignition power and the other is starter signal. But I have never seen one of those harnesses before, so I'm guessing.
I think the 'B' terminal is the small prong on the starter solenoid. I think on Mustangs it is on the drivers fender.
I have a custom harness in mine. So you may want to double check. I don't remember what the Mustang was like.
 

ram360

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
2,162
1
59
Pennsylvania
Oct 17, 2003
#3
  • Oct 17, 2003
  • #3
OK Thanks, yeah all the say is connect the wire to the "B" terminal on the starter relay. I had it on the smaller terminal (diode supressed) but changed it. I think that's where it belongs though. With my luck, I'll try to start the car and fry everything!
 

86Cobra

Founding Member
Jun 6, 2000
2,064
1
0
Phoenix, AZ
Oct 17, 2003
#4
  • Oct 17, 2003
  • #4
The yellow wire to the starter relay goes on the battery side of the relay. The 2 red ignition wires need to splice into wires coming from the ignition switch that are hot in start and run.

BTW, I just used 60511 to rewire my 86. This harness has extra length at the EEC so I put my EEC under the passenger seat.
 
J

jpg07

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2002
66
0
0
Western NY.
Oct 17, 2003
#5
  • Oct 17, 2003
  • #5
Just curious, and a little off topic, how much did that painless kit run you?
 

86Cobra

Founding Member
Jun 6, 2000
2,064
1
0
Phoenix, AZ
Oct 17, 2003
#6
  • Oct 17, 2003
  • #6
It runs about $475 through Summit. I got it for a lot less through a buddy's shop.
 

mustang90

Founding Member
Feb 8, 2001
1,209
15
58
Jul 13, 2004
#7
  • Jul 13, 2004
  • #7
does the painless direct 5.0 liter harness have a spout connector for timming?
 

86Cobra

Founding Member
Jun 6, 2000
2,064
1
0
Phoenix, AZ
Jul 13, 2004
#8
  • Jul 13, 2004
  • #8
mustang90 said:
does the painless direct 5.0 liter harness have a spout connector for timming?
Click to expand...

Yes, but it's located near the EEC, not at the distributor.
 

mustang90

Founding Member
Feb 8, 2001
1,209
15
58
Jul 13, 2004
#9
  • Jul 13, 2004
  • #9
Thanks, I found it!
 
T

TallyMan

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
293
0
0
Litchfield, NH
Jul 13, 2004
#10
  • Jul 13, 2004
  • #10
Seems like you should be good with the info above. I have the same harness in my tbird v8 conversion. The 2 ign wires go to the switch I believe they were red w/ a green stripe, and the -B wire goes to the solenoiid on the fender wall, I think its green. If you need more info let me know and I can scan the instruction manual and send to you, or I can snap a few pics and send to you. It actually works really well. A couple of things I really like about it is that it doesent have that "pill" thing for the spout it just has a connector that you disconnect. Almost similar to chevy trucks, this way you cant loose it...Also I found that he O2 sensor wires are quite long so you dont need extensions for LT headers. It is a little lighter and it eliminates the 2 large connectors behind the intake.

Steve
 

mustang90

Founding Member
Feb 8, 2001
1,209
15
58
Jul 13, 2004
#11
  • Jul 13, 2004
  • #11
Thanks for the information! I actually installed a painless 5.0 efi harness in my 90. I wasn't exactly sure what the connector looked like. It is a high quality harness though. Ive had enough with my car though. Every time I turn its more money. I did a hudge 4 year long overhaul and thought I was complete with parts only to find out that I need a bypass valve and btm unit. Im so pissed off
 
T

TallyMan

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
293
0
0
Litchfield, NH
Jul 13, 2004
#12
  • Jul 13, 2004
  • #12
I guess its safe to say "you gotaa pay to play"
 
D

D347643

Banned
Jan 28, 2003
1,095
0
37
portland, OR
Sep 25, 2004
#13
  • Sep 25, 2004
  • #13
ive been planning on getting one of these too, any more opinions on them
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

T
Electrical Brown Connector #31
  • ta66
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
162
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 30, 2026
ta66
T
C
Electrical HELP! 1989 5.0 Stick, Voltage Bleed onto Ignition Trigger wire
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • May 14, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
328
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 24, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
F
Electrical From scratch: alternator wiring
  • fox racer v2
  • Jun 23, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
640
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 23, 2025
fox racer v2
F
J
Power Wire Upgrade Question
  • jhaling
  • Dec 21, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
310
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Mar 23, 2026
Noobz347
Electrical Going crazy trying to identify burnt and disconnected wires 83 GLX5.0
  • x_man586
  • Jun 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
506
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 26, 2025
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?