Paint bid

eric n

Founding Member
Jul 14, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
Well I got a bid for paint on my 66 fb today. Looking at 2800 for color change, 3 hrs of body work, shelby stripes, 2 coats clear, wet sand and buff. The guy came down around a grand from their regular price. Seems like a pretty good deal. I realize this won't be a show car, but I'm looking forward to removing the REALLY CRAPPY PAINT from my signature.

• Sponsors (?)

Eric, that seems like a bargain to me. I've been toiling on the paint and bodywork of my fastback for about 18 months, so $2,800 seems very good. If I were you, I'd ask to see some of his past work and maybe speak to a past customer or two, if you can work that into a conversation without putting the guy on the defense or offending him. I'd also ask if he uses single stage paint or basecoat/clearcoat. While single stage is fine for solids, for any metallics I'd go with bc/cc for their ease of touchup. When you consider that materials can easily go for $1,000 (filler, primer, sandpaper, reducer, paint, etc) a $2,800 job is a rare find. Also ask ahead of time if he plans to remove the trim around the windows, paint the jambs, and so on, since many shops don't unless you specify. Good luck and post pics!

Thanks guys, I'm getting base and clear coat (2 stages) and it should look pretty sharp. I don't kid myself that it's going to be a world class job, after all I drive it daily and parked at Chilli's it's going to get a ding now and again. That said it should look pretty sharp. Currently it's looked like hell for a long long time.

Also getting my 17" American Eagle Alloy 211s (wheels) this week, so it's looking good time in less than a month. YEAH!!! Damn, how will I handle the attention???

That doesn't sound bad at all! What color are you changing to?

I just got an estimate on my paint for $1000 yesterday. It's friend pricing, and I'm not getting any stripes or anything. He's going to do a little bit of body work, but I've spent the last 6 months doing the big stuff, so that probably helped my price out too.

66 BLAKE 96 said:
That doesn't sound bad at all! What color are you changing to?

I just got an estimate on my paint for $1000 yesterday. It's friend pricing, and I'm not getting any stripes or anything. He's going to do a little bit of body work, but I've spent the last 6 months doing the big stuff, so that probably helped my price out too.

I really like the metalic blue that they use on the new Accords, so what we discussed was that paint with white "shelby" stripes.

eric n said:
I really like the metalic blue that they use on the new Accords, so what we discussed was that paint with white "shelby" stripes.

Very nice. Will you take something into consideration?
Silver stripes on that blue would be unique and gorgeous. :nice:

Eric N -- Is that paintshop in Bakersfield? What's the name of the place? I've been looking at getting my 70 coupe painted but I wasn't sure how much it would cost.

Would the price go up substantially to fix a rust bubble in the door?

Definitely keep us updated on how the paint turns out!! And post pics!! :)

3 hours of bodywork?? Ill bet Ive got 300 hours in mine( Im not a rookie either) and it started as a rust free mostly dent free car, maybe a quart of filler in the whole thing. I realize youre not looking for perfection but Id hate to see you get screwed. Be very carefull with shops that quote stuff like that, theyre the ones who wipe the car with laquer thinner give it a scuff with a scotchbrite pad and paint right over any imperfections, in a year the paint will be flaking off like dead skin. Remember you get EXACTLY what you pay for when it comes to this type of work. Ask for references

66 BLAKE 96 said:
Very nice. Will you take something into consideration?
Silver stripes on that blue would be unique and gorgeous. :nice:
That's also one of the combinations I'm thinking about for my car, and I agree it looks great. I've come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as unique when it comes to Shelby-striped Mustangs. It seems as though every combination has been tried and I'd be willing to bet money that the day I finally get my car finished, one painted just like it will be parked three cars down at the first show I attend... :rolleyes:

zookeeper said:
That's also one of the combinations I'm thinking about for my car, and I agree it looks great. I've come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as unique when it comes to Shelby-striped Mustangs. It seems as though every combination has been tried and I'd be willing to bet money that the day I finally get my car finished, one painted just like it will be parked three cars down at the first show I attend... :rolleyes:

Nice choice :nice:

I guess I should've been more specific. I didn't mean unique as in "you'll never see another one". I'm pretty sure I've seen this combo before, but it is quite unusual, relative to the other Shelby-striped cars out there.

$2,800 dollars is really cheap considering no one ever wants to touch vintage cars anymore. I'm putting my car in the paint shop mid July. I'm having Quarters done and replacing fendors and doors myself. With me stripping the chrome and interior he still wants $5,000. It's a bit much but since I've had basically a car sitting in boxes in my closet for 6 months I'm not waiting anymore. He specializes in old mustangs too and the 70 in his shop now looks really good so I'm happy to give him my business. I'm getting my car painted a Sonic Blue Metallic with gray shelby stripes I believe. Gray looks the best to me because they don't jump out and yell "LOOK AT MY STRIPES!~" :nice: I can't wait to bolt on my Edelbrock 454s that have been in the boxes for months now...

zookeeper said:

You could paint it playboy pink, with metallic purple shelby stripes, trimed in yellow. I dont think anyone has that combination

66 BLAKE 96 said:
Nice choice :nice:

I guess I should've been more specific. I didn't mean unique as in "you'll never see another one". I'm pretty sure I've seen this combo before, but it is quite unusual, relative to the other Shelby-striped cars out there.
I was just being a smartass, as usual. But I know what you mean and I agree. Another thing I've been considering is maybe a blue with some pearl (not enough to make it look like it belongs in Lowrider Magazine, just a touch) and pearl white stripes. The pearl in the white kind of takes the "whiteness" out, and could look a bit different as well. I didn't think this up on my own, but instead I saw it on a Cobra replica a couple weeks ago and really liked it. Who knows, I may just throw in the towel and paint it white with blue stripes...