• Mustang Forums
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech

Paint Delamination

  • Thread starter Thread starter amcnally
  • Start date Start date Sep 12, 2005
A

amcnally

New Member
Aug 5, 2003
2
0
0
Kentuckiana
Sep 12, 2005
#1
  • Sep 12, 2005
  • #1
I am doing some research on paint delamination (peeling paint...paint that just falls off) on Mustangs that are 1995 or older. I would like to hear from people that had this problem with their cars, and would like to hear from people that have cars that has the original paint on it with no delamination.

If you have a car that has paint delamination, please contact me and tell me: what year your car is; is it a coupe or a convertible; what color is your car; when did it begin to delaminate; whether you car was kept inside or outside; what area of the country you were located in when it began to delaminate (and up to that time); how your car was cleaned (hand wash, plastic scrub brush wash, professional detailer, etc.); what did you do about the delamination; where your car was manufactured, if you know (or the part of your VIN that indicates that information); and any other information that might be of use.

If your car has it's original paint, I would like to know as much as I can of the above information, but also whether you are the original owner of the car as well (how do you know for sure that it is original paint if you are not).

Feel free to contact me directly if you do not want to post your information here. I can be contacted at paintinfo at(@) apexrg.com

Thanks!
Ann
 
7

77sleeper

GO BUCS!
Founding Member
Oct 11, 1999
7,266
0
0
Napalm, AZ
Sep 13, 2005
#2
  • Sep 13, 2005
  • #2
the paint issues of the late 80s early 90s were due to EPA regulation changes that took place in that time frame
 
L

LXXVICOBRA

Founding Member
Jul 10, 1999
506
1
0
Central NY State
Sep 13, 2005
#3
  • Sep 13, 2005
  • #3
Since my car has been repainted at one time, I cannot really give you a speciffic example in entirety. However, as an original owner of my II, (and someone that is old enough to remember these cars when new and used as everyday transportation), I can say that I don't recall this being a great problem on these cars. Although I believe I recall seeing at least a few with the problem in the cowl area. However, I can say it wasn't a problem on my car at all. (White '76 Cobra II, Dearborn mfg)

It's my belief that II's (if anything) had a fairly thin coat of paint from the factory.
Additionally, the bigger issue that affected these cars (and many other 70's cars) in general, was the use of comparativly inferior sheetmetal to previous models that made them quite prone to rustout from within, probably often before they were paid off.

Some might cite the peeling of striping on certain models as being delamination, when in fact such stripes were actually tape over paint. The tape often would crack and peel in a similar manner when exposed to high heat climates and years of direct sunlight.

The are a few here with extensive body shop/paint experience that can probably help you out more than I. I thought I'd throw this out as a start.
 
L

LXXVICOBRA

Founding Member
Jul 10, 1999
506
1
0
Central NY State
Sep 13, 2005
#4
  • Sep 13, 2005
  • #4
Update to my post above...

The cars I mentioned with delamination in the cowl area actually may have been repainted as well, on second thought. Sorry for not indicating that before.

I'm not sure if (or why) your quest for obtaining info on this subject is limited to 1995 and older Mustangs. Requesting info on late 80's early 90's GM cars might get you a lot more response. Buick Skylarks were notorious for such delamination all over the car, as were hoods on Caprice/Impala models as I recall.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

G
In expensive ceramic coating
  • gray owl
  • Jul 12, 2026
  • Mustang Sound & Shine All
Replies
7
Views
367
Mustang Sound & Shine All Aug 18, 2026
NotaVegetarian
N
B
Take a look at my rack!
  • bicknell
  • Sep 1, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
9
Views
777
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2025
Willybill32
F
Need body/paint shop in san jose area
  • FordFan
  • Nov 13, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
779
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Nov 21, 2025
Noobz347
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
340
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
S
FUEL PUMP ALWAYS ON
  • Scwhitten
  • Jun 6, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
683
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jul 4, 2026
manicmechanic007
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?