Part Out My 2000 Gt Convertible?

AwPhooey

15 Year Member
Aug 14, 2012
Heya Folks-

Well, my son totalled my 2000 A/T GT. He made it three houses down the street, dropped his coke, bent to pick it up, drifted to side and next thing he knows is the back end of a jeep cherokee. Completely smashed up the front end, State Farm is going to total it out- they made me a pretty fair offer.

My question is (any and all advice appreciated), is it worth buying the car back from State Farm for 800.00 (what they'll charge me), and parting out, or possibly storing the engine and tranny for future install into something else? It's all stock, has a little over 100K and besides the front end, no issues. Engine is clean runs excellent even now. With a couple of buds, I am ok with pulling engine and tranny out- but I wonder if I'm letting sentiment over the car (I've had it since 2001, bought it when it had only 10K), cloud my judgement.

What are your thoughts? Am I being silly?

Thanks in advance,
Phoo

• Sponsors (?)

It is a real hassle to part every little part of the dang car. Unless you are hard up for moneys.

For $800, you could find a mustang gt with a blown motor and put the engine you have in the donor Mustang.

Hell. forge the engine to your liking and make your kid respect the car....a good way to do that is make him drive a P.O.S. of a car and don't let him touch the mustang util he recites EVERY spec. of a Mustang GT. That is a win win.

One man's opinion.

Thanks for the advice folks. I've decided I'm going to store it for a couple of months and see if i can find a blown out GT to swap engine/tranny with. I appreciate the input.