Pictures Of/experience With Dyed Interiors?

• Sponsors (?)

I dyed mine. It looks really good. It does wear and scratch though. The nice thing is when it wears and scratches, a simple recoat and your back in business. I will try and dig up some photos of mine.

This past summer I dyed a set of leather rear seats and they look very nice as well. I won't know how they wear until my kids get to be much older though.

When i originally swapped my interior, i was missing a few parts, so i substituted some dyed painted parts in their place.

They wore fine, but I could never get the color matched correctly, especially in the sun. Eventually, over time, i ended up removing the dyed parts and replacing them with OEM stuff.

I'm sure if it was 100% dyed, i wouldn't have noticed as much, but since i had a mix and match setup, it did irk me.

Actually...this thread just reminded me i have an OEM black dash....somewhere....

Thread jack but on topic. Yesterday I was thinking about interior color swaps and such (I didn't think about dying) and I was wondering what one would do with the steering wheel? Are yall dying that too or do you have to get another?

I would get another. I tried dying a leather steering wheel and it didn't hold up over time. I'm sure prep goes a long way, but how can you really prep leather? I'm all but certain you can't use solvents. If you're talking about a wheel other than leather, I'd give it a shot.

Prep work and cleaning off all the Armor All is vital for plastic or leather. Eastwood it the other place I would check for the best products.
I dyed the loop carpet insert on the bottom of some door panels over two decades ago. I just used the cheap stuff from a parts store, thinking it would get me by for a while. It is still black as the factory made it.

Reactions: 1 user
i have died leather seats- including the current ones in my car- using SEM and am very happy. I called SEM and sent them a swatch so they could do a custom color match. As far as prep- use some alcohol or prep solve, scruff it up gently with a scotchbrite pad to give it a surface to grab on to, user their adhesion primer or not, then spray several thin coats of the leather die. On mine, you cannot tell the difference between the factory and the areas where I touched it up. .
If you are not looking for a 100% factory match, you can buy the OTC SEM color that is closest to factory and get good results. I would recommend going to a paint supply store and spray out a sample of some different colors and match it up to your parts to see which is best.

I touched up all my OEM black pieces with SEM dye. Basically followed Noobz's thread. The only issue I ran into is that I did the left and right rear quarter panels at different times. The left is more shiny than the right. I'm not sure if it was because the weather was different on the days I sprayed them or what, but they definitely look different. If it bothers me enough, I'll be taking them out and re-spraying them together on the same day with the same batch of paint cans.

The adhesion on the SEM stuff seems to be great though.