• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Pinion Preload Questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter BRX98GT
  • Start date Start date Feb 12, 2008
B

BRX98GT

New Member
Nov 3, 2003
21
0
1
Raleigh, NC
Feb 12, 2008
#1
  • Feb 12, 2008
  • #1
Hey guys...I had the front pinion bearing go out on me and now have my rear end off the car and taken apart. I am putting it all back together this weekend and was wondering what preload torque settings I should be using.

From what I've read I should be using 18-28 in-lbs (for new bearings) and 10-14 in-lbs (for old bearings). Problem is I have one old bearing and one new. Should I just shoot for the lower end of the new bearing range?

Also, I have a clicker-type in-lbs torque wrench. Can I get away with using this to check the preload or do I have to use a dial type?
 

03ghoststang

Well-Known Member
Jul 16, 2005
1,930
1
57
Los Angeles, California
Feb 12, 2008
#2
  • Feb 12, 2008
  • #2
use the new bearing and tq. specs, also to measure the preload use the dial type
 
B

bdcardinal

tree hugger
Jun 10, 2003
3,612
16
69
santa barbara, CA
Feb 13, 2008
#3
  • Feb 13, 2008
  • #3
why didnt you replace all the bearings? just wondering
 
B

BRX98GT

New Member
Nov 3, 2003
21
0
1
Raleigh, NC
Feb 13, 2008
#4
  • Feb 13, 2008
  • #4
Thanks 03ghoststang.

bdcardinal: I'm not changing the other bearings and races because they all look to be in good shape and it is my understanding that if I don't replace the ones on the carrier or rear of the pinion, I won't have to deal with adjusting the pinion depth or backlash.

Can someone with gear experience verify that for me and correct me if I'm wrong.
 
0

02stangbang

New Member
Oct 9, 2007
30
0
0
williamstown, ky
Feb 13, 2008
#5
  • Feb 13, 2008
  • #5
you MUST use a dial type torque wrench, because that is a torque-to-turn figure. i would personally replace all bearings at once but if you must do it this way i would shoot for 18 in/lbs. using a clicker-type you would definitely over torque it. i hope your at least using a new crush sleeve.
 
B

BRX98GT

New Member
Nov 3, 2003
21
0
1
Raleigh, NC
Feb 13, 2008
#6
  • Feb 13, 2008
  • #6
Yeah...I've got a new crush sleeve, front bearing and race. The reason I'm not replacing the other bearings is because I don't want to change the current pinion depth and backlash settings.
 
C

chuck943

New Member
Oct 26, 2002
262
0
0
north carolina
Feb 13, 2008
#7
  • Feb 13, 2008
  • #7
What u are measuring is rotational force so it must be done with dial type. It takes quite a bit of force to collaspe the crush washer to obtain that reading also,most cheap air guns won't do it. If you are doing it with a breaker bar you may even have to use a pipe over the bar just to get enough umph on it. What u want to do is tighten it down until the forward to rear play is gone then start measuring the torque.
 

Stan Weiss

Member
Dec 8, 2006
347
2
16
Philadelphia, PA
Feb 13, 2008
#8
  • Feb 13, 2008
  • #8
Remember when you crush the sleeve go slowly and measure the turning torque. If you crush the sleeve and have to much turning torque you can not just loosen the nut a little but have to start over with a new sleeve.
 
B

BRX98GT

New Member
Nov 3, 2003
21
0
1
Raleigh, NC
Feb 15, 2008
#9
  • Feb 15, 2008
  • #9
Thanks everyone.

One last question, do I need to be measuring the rotational force with the carrier/axles installed or not? The link below seems to suggest that this be done without them in the housing.

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/5ohcpa/cpa5ohtech001.htm

I've got the whole rear end off the car and disassembled anyway so either way will be just as easy for me.
 

Stan Weiss

Member
Dec 8, 2006
347
2
16
Philadelphia, PA
Feb 15, 2008
#10
  • Feb 15, 2008
  • #10
BRX98GT said:
Hey guys...I had the front pinion bearing go out on me and now have my rear end off the car and taken apart. I am putting it all back together this weekend and was wondering what preload torque settings I should be using.

From what I've read I should be using 18-28 in-lbs (for new bearings) and 10-14 in-lbs (for old bearings). Problem is I have one old bearing and one new. Should I just shoot for the lower end of the new bearing range?

Also, I have a clicker-type in-lbs torque wrench. Can I get away with using this to check the preload or do I have to use a dial type?
Click to expand...


Your question was about pinion bearing preload torque. This is measured with only the pinion installed.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

O
8.8 Pinion Nut Leak
  • OX1
  • Jan 3, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
15
Views
960
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 5, 2026
OX1
O
Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
486
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
850
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
O
Progress Thread LTD-ing
  • OX1
  • Mar 15, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
452
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 6, 2026
OX1
O
S
Drivetrain 8.8 Pinion and 302 rear main seal leaks after replacing. 93 5.0 with t-5
  • Steigy4827
  • Jun 23, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
783
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 1, 2026
Steigy4827
S
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?