• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Pitman arm making contact with header

  • Thread starter Thread starter 7tredmach
  • Start date Start date Mar 9, 2008
7

7tredmach

New Member
Aug 8, 2007
7
0
0
Mar 9, 2008
#1
  • Mar 9, 2008
  • #1
I've been having some p/s problems lately, so I removed the pump,control valve, and power cylinder for rebuild. While checking things out, I notice that the pitman arm is making contact with the header. I can turn the steering wheel 2 full turns to the right, but only 1-1/2 to the left before it makes contact with the header. Is this nomal when using headers? They are Hooker Competition.
Thanks, Paul
 

enferno

Member
Jun 20, 2006
418
2
16
Mar 9, 2008
#2
  • Mar 9, 2008
  • #2
you need a power steering drop bracket

http://www.trophymustang.com/drop-bracket-headers-p-7444.html

something like that
 
7

7tredmach

New Member
Aug 8, 2007
7
0
0
Mar 9, 2008
#3
  • Mar 9, 2008
  • #3
I have a drop bracket installed, I think it helps with the clearance of the power cylinder to the headers. I have a problem with the pitman arm making contact with the header.
Thanks for the reply
Paul
 
6

67rcks

Member
Feb 20, 2008
373
0
17
Mar 11, 2008
#4
  • Mar 11, 2008
  • #4
get hydraulic lifter and hammer to make space
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

N
Power door lock motor Question
  • NYFox
  • Mar 15, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
319
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 17, 2026
NYFox
N
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
340
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
S
New misfire after replacing valve seals/springs.
  • SpeedofDarkness
  • Aug 24, 2025
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
251
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 24, 2025
SpeedofDarkness
S
D
Rockers, lash adjusters and timing: help with parts (4.6 2v)
  • dvigAtel
  • Nov 1, 2025
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
0
Views
321
Other Auto Tech Nov 1, 2025
dvigAtel
D
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?