Suspension Play in Steering Column

Jamesmcga

Feb 20, 2022
Atlanta
Any idea what I can do to tighten up the play in the area I have circled. It has about a 1/8th-1/16th of play.

Attachments

• 23D7E1A8-3C06-4056-93AF-F4E39C21E4DF.jpeg
    23D7E1A8-3C06-4056-93AF-F4E39C21E4DF.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Sponsors (?)

I've had to tighten those 2 bolts on mine a couple of times over the years. I'm assuming you've checked that though, huh? When they are loose they let the whole steering wheel slightly lift up and down.

Reactions: 1 user
I've had to tighten those 2 bolts on mine a couple of times over the years. I'm assuming you've checked that though, huh? When they are loose they let the whole steering wheel slightly lift up and down.
Yes the whole steering wheel lifts slightly up m/down it looks like it’s the innermost steering shaft so it must be a bearing. Those two bolts are tight

I can't get the steering wheel off. The center bolt will not loosen ...I've tried to loosen it with and with out the 3 surrounding bolts (since I wasn't sure if they were connected)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 35
Jamesmcga,
The 3 outside bolts just connect the hub to the steering wheel
The center one may need a impact wrench to loosen
Then you can use the other 3 with a puller if the hub is on there too tight to jut pull off by hand
You need to make sure the hub is not the looseness anyway, so it's good that the guy torqued the crap out of it
35 lbs is the torque spec on the 15mm steering wheel bolt

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Jamesmcga,
The 3 outside bolts just connect the hub to the steering wheel
The center one may need a impact wrench to loosen
Then you can use the other 3 with a puller if the hub is on there too tight to jut pull off by hand
You need to make sure the hub is not the looseness anyway, so it's good that the guy torqued the crap out of it
35 lbs is the torque spec on the 15mm steering wheel bolt
So I got the wheel off but now I need to get this other piece off and I’m not sure if this is the part that requires a puller?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 33
So I got the wheel off but now I need to get this other piece off and I’m not sure if this is the part that requires a puller?
Yes, a steering wheel puller could be used, I would bolt the steering wheel back on, screw the center bolt in about half way then as you pull on the wheel with both hands at like 3-9 or 12-6 o'clock have someone tap on the center bolt, when it 'pops' you should be able to unscrew the center bolt and lift the wheel off.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes a puller is what you need
Most steering wheel pullers will work
Screw the bolt back in a little ways (something to press against besides the hollow shaft with threads)
I think you can use a harmonic balancer puller on your 3 screw hub

Reactions: 1 users