Please help me find my loss of power!

warpd

Dec 27, 2005
Auburn,AL
Ok tonight I barely outran a 5spd 97 V6 Camaro with exhaust, he did jump on me but still . I have pretty big exhaust leaks before the mufflers where they meet the h-pipe, I was thinking I'm probly losing some power there. The big problem is that at high rpm especially in lower gears once I get above like 4500rpms, or at least its more noticable there, I don't seem to go anywhere. Low end power seems fine its just once I get into the higher rpms it seems like it falls on its face, the, the rpms increase but I don't go any faster it seems.
I know my car is faster than this. My friends who have driven my car say the same, they say sometimes it hauls ass and then other times it just is sluggish. I think I just don't notice it because I drive it all the time. The coil, the plugs, the cap and rotor, and wires are all pretty new. I have a suspicion it could be the TFI module. It looks like the original Ford part, and I have heard that it is rare for them to throw codes, and that they are hard to test, that even bad ones test good alot. After I got out of the car after I raced that kid tonight, my car smelled rich like unburnt fuel almost. I'm not noticing any missing really, there is no stumbling. It just feels like a lack of power. Do ya'll have any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I had the almost same thing in my 93 cobra. It sat for almost ten years then I pulled it out. I changed everything I need to. But at around 4k in was.... well just not right. We tryed everything and checked with a wide band too. But It came down to a can of seafoam from O'reilly's. It worked great like the car was new again. It ran a 14.9 stock at the time with 23k on the car and after the seafoam and 2k more on the car and still bone stock it ran a 13.8. I stand by this stuff it has worked for every one I know, So maybe it can work for you. It only take one or two cans.( two tanks of gas too) I hope I can help man.