Please help me verify what engine and heads I have!

afast93stang

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2002
North Texas
Just bought a 67 coupe, the car was a C code (289) but in the 80s it was pulled and according to the previous owner, the owner before him put in a new 302 from 1984. He was given no documentation on it so im not sure where to begin.

Where do I look on the block to find the ID numbers. The same question goes for the heads too, where do I look on those?

Thanks,

Trevor

<!-- / message -->

• Sponsors (?)

The block casting numbers are above the starter. The date code is there too. The casting numbers will tell you the first model year the part was produced, the date code will tell you the exact day and year it was made. The casting numbers are similar to these: E0AE-6015-B, the date code is a number/letter/number combo cast into what looks like a screwed on tag cast into the block next to the casting numbers. The head date code is inside the rocker valley under the valve covers. The head casting numbers are hidden under the intake runners, the intake has to be removed to see them. The date code can get you close to knowing what heads they are. If the heads are late 80's-up castings, these are easy to Id, there were four basic castings used after 1985, they are E6SE, E7TE, F1ZE/F3ZE (same basic head for both) & F77E (GT40P) Post what you find and we can tell you what you've got.