Please Help Me!

Jonathan5k

Dec 10, 2016
Hello guys, I'm new to this and it's my first time on a forum. I really need some help please... I just bought my first mustang. I'm super excited. It's a 2002 Mustang GT V8. 127k miles. There's an issue with it tho. When the mass air flow censor is plugged in, it idols ROUGH, and runs ROUGH! After 3rd RPM it runs perfectly normal. Below that, it runs so bad. But when I plug the mass air flow censors back in, the car will turn over, but will NOT idol or drive. I'm so lost, and don't have much money to spend. I figured this means the mass air flow censor is bad.. My mechanic says no, it's a miss read code. Anyone else have this issue? Any fix?

• Sponsors (?)

Could always get a Bluetooth obd2 adapter and torque app. Better than running to Autozone everytime you need to read/clear codes. Got my adapter off of Amazon for $10. Quality rises with price, and you roll the dice with a cheap Chinese one, but mines been going strong for 3 years now.

Get your codes read by one of the parts stores, they do it free. Don't buy any parts at that point because codes are a symptom, not a diagnosis.

Post any/all codes found here and we'll be glad to help you from there.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm confused by your initial post... You mention it runs rough when plugged in, but past 3k RPM it's ok. But when you plug it back in it runs rough. So how does it run unplugged?

And agreed, go to Autozone and scan for free. Did your mechanic not remember them or did he just choose not to tell you?

-J

My mechanic is a family friend, I never work on cars so he just didn't tell me because he planned on doing it all himself. He had a family emergency and now I can't get a hold of him. I'll take it to autozone and have them read codes. I'm thinking its a cracked manifold intake