Please Help with removing 4.6 DOHC Oil Pan ASAP!!

93CobraR

Aug 7, 2000
Hello all, I'm working on a 96 cobra and it has a rod knocking, I want to get the oil pan off to look at the source of the problem to see what needs to be done. My question is, can the oil pan be removed with the engine in the car? If so can someone give me some good advice/steps to get it done. This is my first Modular motor I have really tore in too. I'm a 5.0 expert and I know you can get the double sump pan off on those with the engine in the car. Anyhow to shorten this up I really don't want to pull the engine, so what needs to be done? jack up the motor? pull the trans? any front end accesorys have to come off? Do I really have to drop the K-member? If so whats the best way to do so and how do i support the engine? So any of you experts please help. Thanks for any help I can get. Jacob

• Sponsors (?)

Best way with the engine in the car would be to drop the K-member first then the oil pan. You'll need to support the engine somehow to drop the K-member. A jack with a block of wood under the crankshaft balancer pulley should do the trick.

I changed a 5.0L dual sump oil pan with it in the car. But I had the transmission out too for a clutch job. I don't think I could have gotten that thing out without the trans out. I also took the bolts out that hold the rack and pinion to the crossmember out and dropped that down. Getting the oil pan out with the trans in I don't think would have been possible. I think the 4.6L engine would be the same story.