Plug Question

Kevin R.

Jun 3, 2004
Ohio
If i had one spark plug that was bad, would it make a noticeable difference or just slight?

I was wondering because my brother got in my car and mentioned a slight shaking and lope, almost as if misfiring on one cylinder. I apparently have become accustomed to it and do not notice. This time i paid attention and it does have a slight shake and "lope" to it but very small.

Could a bad plug cause this? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

a bad plug, wire, etc can cause that (almost makes it feel like you have a lopey cam in it). you can do a couple things. a cylinder balance test might shed some light. or pull plug wires one at a time and note if nothing changes when you pull a specific wire. i have also sprayed water on headers - a non-firing cylinder wont steam the water.

be very careful doing any of this stuff. you can get shocked and burned. :)

good luck.

well I would say a plug that isn't firing at all would be VERY noticeable...I had that problem in a previous car and it stumbled all over the place and refused to accelerate...but if it is just a weak spark...sure I could see it causing that..

Thanks a lot for the great info. Although this may be a slight problem, I have come to the conclusion my piston rings are going downhill. I didnt think anything of it but when I changed my throttle body out it had quite a bit of oil in it and I am losing a lot in between oil changes. Ohhh man. Here we go.