Popping noise when I turn the wheel

drjones633

Apr 6, 2005
I know this thread has been posted before, but I was wonderig if any new info is avalible on the problem and a possible solution. How many people have had this problem also and what was your mileage when it started,????

I noticed it around 3,000mi and at 5,500 now, it's gotten worse and more frequent.

• Sponsors (?)

Popping

Per Ford TSB rec'd 04.09.05: 304000 Chassis suspension system

Special service messages 18461 2005 Mustang popping noise, front of vehicle on turns. 2005 Mustang vehicles may exhibit a popping noise coming from the front of the vehicle in turns. Verify that nosie is coming from the strut bearing or spring with chassis ears. Engineering is currently investigating. No repairs should be attempted at this time. monitor oasis for updates. Effective 03.10.2005

Mine started when I had less than 1,000 miles. That is why I took it in. I suspect modifications would depend on what if any extended warranty was purchased with the vehicle. I'm going to keep what's there for now and see what Ford's answer will be.

gldelox13 said:
Per Ford TSB rec'd 04.09.05: 304000 Chassis suspension system

Special service messages 18461 2005 Mustang popping noise, front of vehicle on turns. 2005 Mustang vehicles may exhibit a popping noise coming from the front of the vehicle in turns. Verify that nosie is coming from the strut bearing or spring with chassis ears. Engineering is currently investigating. No repairs should be attempted at this time. monitor oasis for updates. Effective 03.10.2005.
Okay, since my build date is April 5, 2005, maybe I can expect to avoid this problem ... ?

go back up to my post and click on the link it is the updated tsb with all of the parts that they are replaceing

FRONT SUSPENSION POPPING NOISE WHILE TSB 05-9-11
TURNING RIGHT OR LEFT—VEHICLES BUILT
BEFORE 4/8/2005
FORD:
2005 Mustang
4. Reassemble the strut and spring. During ISSUE
reassembly, make sure the lower spring coil is Some 2005 Mustang vehicles built before 4/8/2005
butted up against the lower spring seat on the may exhibit an intermittent popping noise from the
strut and the upper spring coil is butted up front of the vehicle while turning left or right. The
against the upper bearing assembly. noise will typically occur during low speed
maneuvers and may occur multiple times while NOTE
turning.
INSTALL ALL NEW FASTENERS DURING
REASSEMBLY. ACTION
On both sides of the vehicle, install a revised upper NOTE
strut bearing assembly. If the vehicle was built VEHICLE ALIGNMENT IS NOT REQUIRED AFTER
before February, 2005 it may also be necessary to THIS REPAIR.
install a lower spring seat isolator if one is not
already present. Refer to the following Service PART NUMBER PART NAME
Procedure.
5R3Z-18183-A Strut Mount (Bearing)
5R3Z-5l302-A Spring Isolator SERVICE PROCEDURE
W520215S440 Strut Upper Nut
N807144S440 Stabilizer Bar Nut 1. Remove the strut and spring assembly. Refer to
W520112S440 Strut To Body Nuts Workshop Manual Section 204-01. W711091S900 Strut Bolt Nuts
W709870S439 Strut Bolts 2. Disassemble the strut and spring assembly.
3. If the springs do not have a rubber isolator on WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of
the bottom spring coil, install isolators. Clean off New Vehicle Limited
any dirt prior to installing the isolator. The Warranty Coverage
isolator should be installed 4² (100 mm) from OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
the end of the coil (Figure 1). 050911A 2005 Mustang Install A 1.5 Hrs.
Revised Upper Strut
Bearing Assembly And A
Lower Spring Seat Isolator
On Both Front Struts (Do
Not Use With 18124A,
18124AT, 5310A, 5310AT,
3455A, 3455AT)
DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
18183 42
Figure 1 - Article 05-9-11
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do
the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper
vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a
Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation
determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin
(TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is
available through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright ã 2005 Ford Motor Company PAGE 1