Possible Exhaust Leak Help, Ticking Sound

UpRise_5.0

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2002
Canada
Hey,

I just had all my lifters replaced because a couple were bad.

The next day after getting them fixed I start to hear a ticking sound again after getting on the car pretty good on a back road.

I listenend with a rubber tube and it doesnt sound like its comming from the valve train. It sounds more like its comming from behind the upper intake, or possibly by the BBK Adjustable Fuel Pressure Reg. As shown in picture B and C below.

Additionally, when I rev the engine up I can see a little cloud of smoke come up kinda around the same area. As shown in picture A below. I can't tell exactly where its comming from.

The ticking sound increases in speed as I rev the engine, and gets a little louder as well.

Any help or ideas would be great!

Thanks

A

View attachment 359372

B

View attachment 359374

C

View attachment 359377

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks man! I just went and looked and yeah theres nothing in there.

Theres supposed to be a PCV valve in there right?

So how do I fix it? Do I just need to put a PCV valve in there? Can it attach to my Track Heat upper? etc...

Thanks again

You need the pcv valve and there should be a vac. T thats goes to the bottom of the upper intake plenum.Factory it is T'd off that vac hose to the pcv.I would think you could T it off the big vac line going to your tb elbow but not sure if it matters.Can anyone else answer that one?

Hey,

Okay the pcv valve and hose was still there so I just stuck it back in.

The ticking noise is still there. It sounds a little louder on the drivers side, behind/around the upper intake.

Heres a couple video clips with the sound, not sure if it helps but anything would be great!

View My Video

and...

View My Video

Are the header bolts tight?

Are the rockers adjusted well?

My rockers are Pedestal 1.7 roller rockers.

I talked to the Mechanic who did my lifters and he said it just the 1.7 Roller Rockers. Wasnt anything to worry about unless it gets louder. Said will not get good results adjusting the Pedestal Roller Rockers because can only go down so far on shims before start to have problems with the roller rockers. He also built the engine and said they are adjusted fine. Is this true?

My rockers are Pedestal 1.7 roller rockers.

I talked to the Mechanic who did my lifters and he said it just the 1.7 Roller Rockers. Wasnt anything to worry about unless it gets louder. Said will not get good results adjusting the Pedestal Roller Rockers because can only go down so far on shims before start to have problems with the roller rockers. He also built the engine and said they are adjusted fine. Is this true?

Pedestal rockers get torqued down not adjusted (only shimmed) i believe the torque spec is 23 ft. lbs. and must be achieved within 1/2 to 1 1/2 turn or you have to shim, or get different pushrods.

:nice: This is exactly right, shims and tq is the way to go, you have to make sure your roller tip is right on the valve tip, and that it doesnt go to far either direction. You said you had bad lifters? What do you mean by bad? bad lifters can cause uneven wear on cam, and pushrods. It sounds like a short pushrod.
Just out of curiosity did you soak your lifters in oil to prime them?

Pedestal rockers get torqued down not adjusted (only shimmed) i believe the torque spec is 23 ft. lbs. and must be achieved within 1/2 to 1 1/2 turn or you have to shim, or get different pushrods.

i could be wrong... but if its comin from the area where teh upper intake is, it COULD be ur emissions bull****... my car is sorta ticking when i get on it, from that area... but its because my hoses are dry rotted i believe, the smog pump eliminator will fix that....

this could be a different case, just MHO by the pictures