Engine Possible Oil Burning?

DannyB1122

15 Year Member
Sep 17, 2012
Random question. I bought Mustang in March of this year (87 GT Convertible) and pretty much drive it only on nice days. I had it out yesterday morning when it was a bit cool out. I noticed when I came back and pulled it into my garage what seemed like a small cloud coming from my right front wheel, similar to what you see when oil touches the exhaust manifold. Since I got the car, after I drive it, my garage smells a bit like it does when I use my two-stroke weed trimmer, so I'm thinking that I might be burning some oil somewhere? I also have a slight backfire when hitting the gas. Not sure if the two are connected somehow. Other than that, I don't notice any performance issues when out driving.

• Sponsors (?)

I took it out earlier today and looked for obvious leaks in the area where I saw it. Didn't see anything except for the usual dirt in some places, but nothing that would lead me to think of an active leak - no sheen on any of the surfaces and ironically enough, I couldn't get the issue to replicate.

I would suspect external oil leak if you saw a puff of smoke from the engine bay area. After 30 years, many of these engines are in need of some new seals.

Valve cover leaks are common. Upgrade tot he 1993 style valve cover gasket and that should prevent any current or future leaks

I would suspect external oil leak if you saw a puff of smoke from the engine bay area. After 30 years, many of these engines are in need of some new seals.

Valve cover leaks are common. Upgrade tot he 1993 style valve cover gasket and that should prevent any current or future leaks
Now that would make sense. I’ll check that out - thank you!