possible project, need help with situation

jonrauch

Sep 26, 2002
Tucson, AZ
dont hate me for asking this, but instead of purchasing an 04 cobra, (dont really care for the body style) im looking into getting a 1993 cobra. on top of that, i am interested in doing a motor swap with the drivetrain out of the 03-04 cobras. i know that i would have to fabricate a ton of parts, such as motor and tranny mounts, new k-member, all new front and rear suspension and rear axle, and new computer (probably go with a FAST setup). but my main question lies in whether or not the motor would fit in the older fox body. ive never owned a mustang, and kind of want to do something different and off the wall, but still be tasteful and have an everyday driver out of it. as for money issues, there really arent any, doing something like this right the first time is top priority.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• Sponsors (?)

COBRA90GT said:
jonrauch - you should probably check out the following site:

http://www.modularfox.com/

BTW - It would be much cheaper to purchase ANY clean foxbody as opposed to a '93 cobra if you wish to perform this swap. Why throw all the extra money away (unless you're rich, I guess)?? :shrug:

G'luck...

And why ruin one of 2,993 Cobras? Why not "Cobraize" a GT for less money and leave the real ones for those of us that want one?

I agree, keep a 93 Cobra pretty much stock for collecibility purposes. Get you a early 90 5.0 Mustang LX and do the swap. A late model Cobra motor would push it into the 11s in the quarter just because the body is so light weight. There are alot of those 5.0 LX's still around. You could put a Cobra kit on it for the looks, i.e. front & rear bumper, wing, etc., since money does not seem to be an issue. I seriously doubt however that a 32valve Cobra motor will fit inside an engine bay made for a pushrod short block. These Cobra modular motors are only 1 inch less wide than the old 429 engine of the late 60s.

i dont think i would 'ruin' a cobra, but try to find one that has been wrecked and rebuild it. its still in the developmental stages though - thanks for the ideas -i've also kicked around the idea of doing the motor in a nothcback, which still might be the route i go.

Please, take it to PM if you wish to advertise your vehicle. Remember to keep classified stuff in the classified section.

how am i tryin to sell something??????

thanks y'all for the help!!

It should fit (although I agree with the other guys here to make a Cobra clone out of a GT). If you look at the Feb '05 issue of 5.0 Magazine, there was a guy who transplanted a 98 Cobra DOHC into his '91 LX Hatchback. I cant say that I am 100% sure the '03 cobra motor is the same size as the 98, but the article proves that at least a 98 DOHC will fit

He also fitted a ProCharger D-1SC pullied to 15 psi :nice:

LX Notch - talk about a sleeper :drool:

Also did you think about converting an LX 4 banger? I guess it doenst matter since money isnt an issue...but theres really no difference between an LX 5.0 and LX 2.3 if you're going to swap out the drivetrain.

If you decide to go with an LX instead of a rebuilt/salvaged cobra, definetly go with the notch :nice:

If you're going to make it a cobra look-alike, though, then get the hatch so it will look like a real 93 cobra with the kit.

hersheyman said:
I agree, keep a 93 Cobra pretty much stock for collecibility purposes. Get you a early 90 5.0 Mustang LX and do the swap. A late model Cobra motor would push it into the 11s in the quarter just because the body is so light weight. There are alot of those 5.0 LX's still around. You could put a Cobra kit on it for the looks, i.e. front & rear bumper, wing, etc., since money does not seem to be an issue. I seriously doubt however that a 32valve Cobra motor will fit inside an engine bay made for a pushrod short block. These Cobra modular motors are only 1 inch less wide than the old 429 engine of the late 60s.

did you know the chassis is the same freaking thing from 79-04 so yes a dohc cobra motor will fit into any mustang from 79 and after.