Power Mirror Issues

Prymetime1

Oct 22, 2010
I am currently finishing up my interior and ran into an issue with my power mirrors.

The issue at hand is when I plug the switch into the pigtail and move the mirror indicator, left or right position, that corresponding side mirror will push itsself all the way right. I can not make it move any other direction thru the switch since it only reads "move right" . When the indicator is in the neutral position, center, nothing happens.

This is not the orginal power mirror switch. My orginal one burned up and I picked up a new used one. its still a ford part. The part numbers are similar but not exact. The 1st four numbers were different. Not sure if that is part of the problem or if it lies elsewhere. you guys have input on this?

I checked the pigtail and from the looks of the wires going in there, I am not lookin at it now so this is all from memory, there are 4 different colored wires ( I assume they control the up,down,left & right movement), then there are two yellows (I thought these were the left/right mirror wires) two greens (Pretty sure power) and ground.

Is there anyway to jump this pigtail to check if there are issues with the mirror motors? with the mirrors actually communicating to the switch being plugged in, I figured the wiring was still good to go at the pigtail to the mirrors. I am leaning to the switch being the issue but wanted to see if you guys had any experiance with this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

92powermirror.jpg

Attachments

• 92powermirror.jpg
    92powermirror.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 3,905
  • 92powermirror.jpg
    92powermirror.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 635
Thanks for providing that wire diagram Saleen0679. Is there a way to simulate the switch by jumping the pigtail? Id like to test if the mirror motors are shot or if it is the switch.

I have the same problem on my 1991lx 5.0 vert. When I move the power mirror switch to either left or right the mirrors just go straight out. Been through 3 switches already all do the same. The wiring is correct and can't find any shorts. It's driving me crazy.