Power steering hose and SHORTY headers Question

68converted

Nov 19, 2003
Colorado
I have Hedman shorty headers and the power steering hose hits the header when the wheel is turned left. Has anyone run the hoses under the engine mounts. If not, what can I do to solve the problem. Do I need to have the super stiff hoses for the power steering? Ideas

• Sponsors (?)

You do need a high pressure hose for the pressure side of the pump. Fixes...You can go to NAPA and have them make you a longer hose to route it where ever you want. Or you can put some aluminum heat shielding over that hose and protect it. I would go the second route.

I attached the bracket to the lower arm and ran the hoses that way but I'm going to change it. Right now my idea is to make braided lines and AN fittings and run them out of the engine compartment on the driver's side, along the frame rail, and then back under the car. This may require some hard tubing in places...I just haven't gotten to that project yet.

68converted said:
I tried to route it under the engine mounts and there is a serious bend on the High pressure line, and I think that it's going to create a problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

if you're pressure hose is the one piece design it is an inferior part and even on a stock setup it sucks bad. i recommend replacing it with the 2 piece hose. you can get the 2 piece at most any good parts store, if you can find a store that stocks gates belts and hoses there is a good chance they also carry the gates ps steering hoses, they are the absolute best on the market IMO and i have never had a single problem with mine, i highly recommend them

bnickel said:
if you're pressure hose is the one piece design it is an inferior part and even on a stock setup it sucks bad. i recommend replacing it with the 2 piece hose. you can get the 2 piece at most any good parts store, if you can find a store that stocks gates belts and hoses there is a good chance they also carry the gates ps steering hoses, they are the absolute best on the market IMO and i have never had a single problem with mine, i highly recommend them

Mine is a two piece Gates. I think I figured out what the problem is though. Can someone post a pic of the routing from the servo. I think the PO had bent the hard line upright. So as the wheel is turned the line bends up real high and contacts the header. I would like to see a pic of how it is supposed to look like.

Are you missing this bracket?

There is an OEM bracket that keeps the hoses tied close to the firewall and away from your headers. Here is a picture of one for a small block

View attachment 493497

This is the rubber bushing/insulator that fits inside the bracket and holds the 2 hoses:
View attachment 493499

If you have these, they will keep your hoses off the headers. These pictures are from the Mustangs Unlimited website, but all the Mustang catalog companies carry them.

If you have these, they will keep your hoses off the headers. These pictures are from the Mustangs Unlimited website, but all the Mustang catalog companies carry them.[/QUOTE]

I have "a" bracket, the top (rubber and tray) is the same but the mounting plate looks different than that.

68converted said:
If you have these, they will keep your hoses off the headers. These pictures are from the Mustangs Unlimited website, but all the Mustang catalog companies carry them.

I have "a" bracket, the top (rubber and tray) is the same but the mounting plate looks different than that.[/quote]

My 68 has the same bracket pictured and it bolts to the shock tower just above the motor mount. I would take a picture for you, but these pieces are currently disconnected. What part of the hose touches the header? Can you post a pic?

bnickel said:
wow, mine is the same style but it bolts to the lower control arm mount and hangs down underneath the car. i think that may be the problem you are having is the way yours are routed.

Mine was mounted to the top bolt of the body mount for the engine mount. It was just fine for the Original 302 and iron exhaust manifold. What is hitting is the loop when the wheels are turned to the left. Are the ends of the hard lines supposed to be turned straight up?

68converted said:
Mine was mounted to the top bolt of the body mount for the engine mount. It was just fine for the Original 302 and iron exhaust manifold. What is hitting is the loop when the wheels are turned to the left. Are the ends of the hard lines supposed to be turned straight up?

Anyone?? Pics of yours would help. I have been looking for info on the routing and have found VERY little.

Right now, my 68 has the hoses running under the engine mounts, but I don't like the hoses' routing done by the previous owner. The car has long tube headers. The only thing is that I just don't want the hoses showing when you see the car coming. Everyone asks what those hoses showing under the car are???

I want to do the opposite and try to route the hoses using the original route. My car has no bracket installed. I want to see pictures of your installation. If they come in touch with the headers, I will do what someone recommended in a previous post (heat shield.) The hoses installed were custom made for the routing and are in bad shape so I'll buy new ones.

I'll appreciate if anyone can help...

Cheers...

Hardtop68 said:
Right now, my 68 has the hoses running under the engine mounts, but I don't like the hoses' routing done by the previous owner. The car has long tube headers. The only thing is that I just don't want the hoses showing when you see the car coming. Everyone asks what those hoses showing under the car are???

I want to do the opposite and try to route the hoses using the original route. My car has no bracket installed. I want to see pictures of your installation. If they come in touch with the headers, I will do what someone recommended in a previous post (heat shield.) The hoses installed were custom made for the routing and are in bad shape so I'll buy new ones.

I'll appreciate if anyone can help...

Cheers...

I just tried the "under mount" route and it looks like crap. will figure out the bracket mount route.

Well, I reconnected my PS pump and hoses last weekend and found that the original hose bracket (same as pics) will no longer fit with the headers, so I am in the same boat. I have been looking at the insulated hose wrap you can get from Summit for reasonably cheap - about $25 for 3 feet. I will wrap the hoses and tie them out of the way and see how that goes. Interested to see if anyone else has a better suggestion.

jcode68 said:
Well, I reconnected my PS pump and hoses last weekend and found that the original hose bracket (same as pics) will no longer fit with the headers, so I am in the same boat. I have been looking at the insulated hose wrap you can get from Summit for reasonably cheap - about $25 for 3 feet. I will wrap the hoses and tie them out of the way and see how that goes. Interested to see if anyone else has a better suggestion.

I am a little frustrated with mine. I have to fab up a bracket to hold the rubber piece of the old bracket. I will end up rebending the hard lines so that they route under the pump and then up and and back to the drivers side. That is the only thing I can think of that will work, short of running them under the motor mounts, which I do not want to do. Wonder how much the sucker will leak then? :bang: