power steering question

I had a leak in the gearbox. I was going to have a seal kit installed but my wrench turner recommended getting a new ( I imagine rebuilt) gear box, figgering that the gears are probably worn afer 30 years.

I tell him to also install a new pump (since I'm in this deep anyway) and gear box and I drive away. Something doesn't feel quite right, but, hey, I had been driving around for 5 years with the old unit and thought that the new feel was something that I'd just have to get accustomed to.

I lose power steering about 60 miles later, and drive about 40 miles home using muscle power. Put a little fluid in and it overflows.

Take it back to him. He replaces the pump and I drive away again.

Drive it around locally, also back and forth to work (45 mile each way, 25 miles 70-80 mph) and there is diffently something wrong.

While going around a slight curve on the freeway, again 70-80 mph, the car just doesn't want to track correctly. It seems that it wants to over-compensate in the opposite direction of the way I am trying to steer. So, me and the steering are constantly playing a little tug of war game.

Also, while standing still, if I turn the wheel all the way to a stop, I get a chattering sound.

I'm going to be taking it back to the shop, but am looking for knowledge here first.

• Sponsors (?)

I would bet the rebuild on your gearbox is crap. From my experience, and others' as well, it is probably a good idea to hold on to your old gearbox until you verify that the replacement is a good one. Too many times these things get rebuilt or adjusted incorrectly and don't work worth a hoot when they're installed.

Same thing happened to me on my 73. I have been planning a rebuild, but am working (I use that term loosely) on the paint and body work right now.

I did some research and it's like the internals are the same as the third gen corvettes. I was unable however to find instructions on the rebuild.

This is a problem that I have to fix when I get the stang back together.

I found instructions on the Corvette rebuild and located a couple places that had rebuild kits for the Corvette gearboxes. I'm trying to decide now if I want to spend 150 bucks getting the stuff for a corvette rebuild of my box, or if I want to get a remanufactured box from John's Mustang or buysteering.com for around 350. What do you guys think?