Suspension Power steering rack install question

91GTstroked

15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get my SN95 steering rack in the car in a few weeks.

My main question is, how exact do I need to get everything if I'm getting an alignment. Such as, making sure the rack is centered, tie rods being close to what they were on the old rack, ect.

My steering wheel is already off a bit. Driving straight the wheel is clocked at about 1' o'clock.

And I've read a few ways on how to change the power steering fluid. What's the preferred method?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Use this procedure at the end to center the rack. I’d get this as centered as you can before taking to align.

From there, with the wheel straight, if the car pulls to one side adjust the tie rods an equal amount. So if it pulls to the left, screw that tie rod in to pull the wheel back to the cebter, and then unscrew the pass side to push that wheel out. After a few tries it should be pretty centered. You don’t need to go crazy here, as the alignment shop will lock the wheel straight and align to that. This is why centering the wheel in the beginning is most important

Reactions: 1 users
When I flushed my fluid I ran the return line into a bucket, put a vacunm cap on the nipple on the pump then with the reservoir full I started the engine and kept the reservoir full of fluid as it pumped into the bucket until the fluid was clean, it took two or three quarts. Shut it off, connected the hose and alls been good since.

Reactions: 1 user