Power steering rack question?

88gt88

Jun 4, 2007
I was cleaning up underneath my 94 gt today and noticed the steering rack boots were wet. I took both boots off and out gushed a lot of power steering fluid. I would assume I need a new rack but then I saw this bar that ran between both boots and was wondering if the mustang uses a different design in which fluid is suppose to travel through the line between both boots? Is this the case or do I need a new rack & pinion? Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

I was in your shoes earlier this spring. You pretty much have to replace it, its next to impossible to take it all apart to replace seals, deffinetly not worth the headache. Mine leaked for over a year before I decided to finally fix it. I got a reman. rack for mine from a local parts store, it wasn't too expensive actually, and came with new inner tie rods. So far so good, no leaks. Removal and installation isn't that bad either, I did it by myself in a couple of hours. Just pull it out before even attempting to get to the hydraulic line fittings with any kind of wrench.

the tube is for air as stated above, your gonna need a new rack but remember you get what you pay for. Most cheapo reman racks just have new seals thrown in them and then their painted and shipped, trust a quality parts store or you'll be warranting out a new rack every couple hundred of miles....trust me, i learned the hard way!