Power steering ?

I'm sure some of you other guys have experienced this problem, too...especially with 4-cylinder automatic cars. I have a 5.0 automatic with 3.73 gears, and 2.3 pump and rack. When I'm going down the highway, the speed is say 80 and the RPMs say 3200 (just an example). Because of the high engine/steering pump speed, the steering gets kind of loose or "squirrelly". What can I do to fix this? I like to go fast lol. I could either (A) underdrive the power steering pump, or (B) have some kind of flow restrictor in the plumbing to or from the rack. I think the only way to underdrive the pump is to use an underdrive crank pulley, which would affect the other accessories. A flow restrictor might shorten the life of the pump :shrug:

Actually, some Fords solve this problem with the EVO (electric variable orifice) power steering. Could I put this on my car?

Please help... :(

• Sponsors (?)

could i take a p/s pump from a t-bird (with EVO) and leave the actuator disconnected? from what i understand, this would give me minimal assist, but would still be more than not running the pump at all. i believe that the EVO actuator is a pulse width modulated unit like the IAC. if someone could develop a control box for that, it would be awesome. can you imagine? control your steering with a know under the dash! :D