• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Power Steering

  • Thread starter Thread starter craig friedman
  • Start date Start date Apr 3, 2017
C

craig friedman

New Member
Apr 3, 2017
5
0
1
NY NY
Apr 3, 2017
#1
  • Apr 3, 2017
  • #1
Hi all, I am currently using a 1997 Mustang Cobra engine, rear end, and transmission to build a Factory Five Cobra. I have a run into a problem and some had suggested that this forum would be a good place to get some help. I am trying to redo the power steering lines, I am not using the hydro-boost as I am not running power brakes. Does anyone know what size threads are on the high pressure power steering pump? Also, I am assuming the other end is just a hose clamp?

Thank you for taking a look.

Craig
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Apr 3, 2017
#2
  • Apr 3, 2017
  • #2
What pump are you using?

With the non hydroboost mustangs, only the low pressure side fittings get hose clamps.

Rough diagram on how the lines route. 94-95 or even fox mustang lines are fairly cheap, but need to know what pump you are using and what rack?

 
C

craig friedman

New Member
Apr 3, 2017
5
0
1
NY NY
Apr 3, 2017
#3
  • Apr 3, 2017
  • #3
I am actually using a power steering rack which is supplied by Factory Five. I'm pretty sure it is the same rack as in a 1985 to 93 mustang. The power steering pump is the factory pump that came with the car. In your diagram it does not show the reservoir which is separate from the power steering pump. In your diagram we're would the reservoir go? It is separate piece that is not attached to the pump but I'm sure you know that.

Thanks for the help
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Apr 3, 2017
#4
  • Apr 3, 2017
  • #4
The older pumps feature a resevioir on the pump itself.



The power steering rack remained similar from 1985 to 2004. What i mean by that is the rack fitting connections are the same, and you could install an 1985 rack in a 2004 and the hydraulic connections are the same.

I assume you are trying to fabricate custom lines, to which yo answer your question, I do not know what size the ps pump connection fitting is
 
C

craig friedman

New Member
Apr 3, 2017
5
0
1
NY NY
Apr 3, 2017
#5
  • Apr 3, 2017
  • #5
Yes, I am trying to fabricate custom lines. Your info helps a lot. The
Last question is where would the reservoir go in your daigram? Would it go on the Low pressure line between the pump and the cooler or on the the low pressure line between the rack and the cooler?
 
C

craig friedman

New Member
Apr 3, 2017
5
0
1
NY NY
Apr 3, 2017
#6
  • Apr 3, 2017
  • #6
Yes, I am trying to fabricate custom lines. Your info helps a lot. The
Last question is where would the reservoir go in your daigram? Would it go on the Low pressure line between the pump and the cooler or on the the low pressure line between the rack and the cooler?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
1965 Mustang with 80s 5.0 engine in it Power Steering hose or connection ID?
  • spearce
  • May 19, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
180
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Jun 8, 2026
AeroCoupe
B
Idler pulley as substitute for Power Steering Pump ?
  • Bhenders
  • Jul 15, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
5
Views
274
Other Auto Tech Jul 16, 2026
LILCBRA
Power steering hoses
  • Teen'93stang5.0
  • Apr 3, 2026
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
3
Views
275
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Apr 14, 2026
Teen'93stang5.0
4
Drivetrain Wilwood Clutch and Brake Pedal Combo Installation - Help
  • 427stang
  • Jul 8, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
84
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 8, 2026
427stang
4
W
I need a 1997 Mustang PATS A expert!
  • Wolfdogg
  • Oct 2, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
116
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Monday at 11:10 PM
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?