Powersteering help!

xYoung347x

Nov 3, 2003
I just installed my new ps pump and I tried to flush it by diconnecting the two lines near the bottom of the radiator until I see clear fluids then plug it back up. I filled it up and start the car, pump was working for a sec and then it gets harder and harder. Then when I went to check it the pump come close to over flow with the old nasty brown fluids. I don't know what to do next, I need some HELP!

• Sponsors (?)

it was probably all the nasty fluid that was still in your rack. we used to have a machine that had two lines that you would put into the resevoir and one would suck the old fluid out and one would put new fluid in. you would lift the car up and turn the wheels back and forth lock to lock with the car running until the fluid was clean. thats probably the only way to get all the dirty fluid out

Disconnect the return line from the pump reservoir, and cap the hose connection on the reservoir so it doesn't leak. Put the end of the return hose in a big bucket so it will have some place to drain. Fill the PS pump to overflowing and start the car, turn the steering wheel lock to lock. Have your buddy watch the fluid level & flag you to shut down before it gets too low. Keep putting new fluid in until it runs clean, don't reuse any of the fluid flushed from the system. Then reconnect the return line & pressure test for leaks.