Powersteering pump?

xYoung347x

Nov 3, 2003
will a fox powersteering pump fit on our car? Also how would you go about reflushing the powersteering system? It seems like my powersteering dont want to work anymore since I tooken it off.

• Sponsors (?)

It won't?

Better take mine off... :D

I have converted my FEAD over to '87-93 because I had the spare parts lying around. The high and low pressure hoses from my '94 fit the old pump.

I am running the AC delete bracket. I only have an alternator, water pump and PS pump.

The FEAD belt moved closer to the engine in '94 to commonize T-Bird and Mustang at the enigne plant and the pump changed as a result.

ford's power steering pumps are notorious for going bad and whining. mine has been whining since i got it and it is a little weak. my mechanic said that flushing it won't help because when the whining starts that means it is already going. and merchant tire wanted $90 to do a flush! :nonono: so i got a remanufactured one for $90 with a $45 core refund, but like everything else, i haven't had time to install it yet. damn i need to get around to some of this $hit....

the flush can still be nice if a part being replaced lost some metal into the system (i.e. a pump contaminates a rack). i normally pop the line off the cooler (i have a fox - but i would think you have a cooler or something better). put the line in a drain pan. pour in new fluid as the let it run while someone turns the wheel. keep pouring till clean fluid starts comin out.

if you dont have a cooler, you could remove the return line on the pump and put it in the pan and do as above.

the pumps on foxes are totally famous for whining, right out of the box (as Black 96 said).

you could try checking part numbers with the parts store but i doubt it. even amongst foxes (and within model years) there were changes to the pumps (changes in pressures, etc).

plus with the shorter hood height, i wonder if stuff was not redone to fit in the SN's.

this is just my thinking, er rambling. free bump. good luck.

A Fox power steering pump will NOT work on a stock SN95. I used one but I had to convert all of the front end accessories over to Fox including the water pump, alternator, tensioner and power steering pump. You would also need the Fox alternator bracket and power steering pump bracket.

I didn't research the AC as I used a Fox AC eliminator bracket.

I have 3/4 inch clearance from the fan to the bolts holding the water pump pulley on. Very tight.

i installed my SN95 one on a Fox fit just fine... just used it resivor and pulley... worked better than the stocker... So i don't see why you can't do it the other way around just put your resivor and pull on it.